Old Time Sengkuang

Yesterday we had dinner with our brother in law at Simpang Ampat. Before I get down, I saw a stall beside the seafood restaurant selling this old time Sengkuang... My childhood snack. When I get down the car with my kids, I quickly walk towards the stall and bought it. Last time was 20cents. Rght now RM1...expensive but I gain my old time memories...Yumz....

20cents to RM1, the price really goes up a lot, the "last time" was like how long ago?
ReplyDeleteProbably 26years back then. I was about 7 to 8yo...
DeleteO.o!!! Before I was born...that's very long ago...
DeleteSengkuang dipped in rojak sauce with peanuts, yummzzz.. Reminds me of rojak babe! As for rojak hor, I will usually ask for fruits without cucumber, more keropok and less spicy.. Nice la your snack.. Make my mouth water when I think of rojak leh..
ReplyDeleteBut if you give me the whole tin of rojak sauce, and ask me to mix together, not so syiok pulak..
DeleteNeed people to do for us and serve us only syiok wor, hehe.. I remembered there was one time somebody in the office gave mangoes.. The raw ones.. Hubby cut into pieces.. he put kicap hitam, sugar and cili padi and make it into "rojak" dipping, fuyoh, sedap !!!!
DeleteI never knew kicap hitam+sugar+cili padi = best home made "rojak" sauce in the world !!
DeleteBut still, the real pungent one still the best, teehee..
I never had this Angeline. I have lots of Ding Dang and Mamee.hahaha
ReplyDeleteHahaha, I like Ding Dang because of the toys lor...
DeleteStill popular now ;-)
ReplyDeleteAt least I have chance to introduce to my kids...
DeleteGosh!!! Haven't had it like that since I was a little kid. Never my favourite though. I prefer pineapples with rojak sauce.
ReplyDeleteCan't recall if i eat this before...
ReplyDeleteI don't really like sengkuang, I enjoy only the gravy and nuts on top, hehe!
ReplyDeleteaiyoyo, I LOVE THIS!!! but really, it's been such a long long long time i've not eaten this already, haha!! somehow have got it forgotten actually but you reminds me one of my favorite old-time snacks!!
ReplyDeleteand yes, it was like 20 or 30-sen a piece last time, wah, RM1 a piece now ah?? but then okay lah, still affordable lor, plus i can see it is quite thick and the boss is quite generous with the sauce and peanuts woh.. i remember last time i bought it from school canteen, maybe just half thick and not so much of sauce and peanuts leh, so come to think about it, this one at RM1 is not expensive at all..
Deletehaha, the way you describe is very funny.. you know what i am imagining?? i am imagining that as soon as you arrived there, you get out of the car and run towards the uncle and ordered a piece for yourself - totally forgotten about Calvin and Hebe leaving them behind to your hubby, haha!!
Deleteand looking at this, i think we can get it from the rojak stall if we request right?? i think they would be happy to just cut one slice and put the sauce and peanuts on top, but no idea how much they are going to sell?? i know they do that on the crackers but i don't quite like the crakers, i prefer this sengkuang more dei..
DeleteHmmm... not sure I tried that before.
ReplyDeleteoh that's my favorite when i was in school. I would always buy this during recess time.
ReplyDeleteI love sengkuang with rojak on top. Yummy!!
ReplyDeletealamak! i never see this before ! My hometown don't have this snacks. But i never like sengkuang. My in laws used to eat this raw with plum powder.
ReplyDelete