#032 - CHAI KUIH

Happy Dongzhi Festival everyone. If you want to refer my Tang Yuen recipe please click the link HERE. I have better recipe to share here which I've been procrastinating for some time. I try to put in words otherwise please feel free to drop me comments and I'll try my best to help.


How many of you love Chai Kuih? Some of you eaten before but forget what is it called? Here a very quick post of my Chai Kuih's recipe.
 Angeline's Chai Kuih (Approximately 45 - 50 pcs)

Chai Kuih Filling
250gm of Dried Shrimp
2 medium size of Sengkuang/jicama
1 large carrot
Oil to stir fry
Soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste

Method: Wash the dried shrimp and chopped into small pieces. Next julienne nicely for jicama and carrot. You can also used the vegetable shredder tool. As usual, heat up the wok and add in the oil to stir fry the dried shrimp until fragrant. Add in the jicama and carrot. Gradually add in the seasoning to taste. Continue to stir fry just a little while. Then, cover the lid and simmer until cook and soften. It depends, you may need to add some water to keep the vegetables moist. For Chai Kuih making, I prefer it to be dried just right and not watery. Set aside and let it cool.
Chai Kuih Skin
250gm of Tang Mien Flour (sifted)
500gm of tapioca flour (sifted)
A pinch of salt
500ml of boiling water (Caution)
500ml of Tap water
6-8tbsp of cooking oil
Need a pair of chopstick/any wood spatula

Steaming process:
Banana leafs, some oil and steaming tray

Method: First, add in the Tang Mien flour, Tapioca flour and salt in a deep bowl. Get ready the chopstick and pour in the hot water (by portioning in order not to over damp the dough). Be caution it is hot and but still need to stir quickly until it become a dough and cook. Then I used hand to knead it while the dough is hot. Add in 2tbsp of cooking oil and tap water by 3 portions - to monitor the dough texture. The dough need to be knead well, not too soft and not greasy at all. This skill required more practice. I've try to make a few times to get the ideal skin texture. I used a hand glove to knead it when it is hot. Maybe I need to show by video...hehehe.


To make the Chai Kuih
  • Prepare a plate with lots of flour (misture of Tang Mien Flour + Tapioca Flour). We need it to shape the sticky chai Kuih skin or else it is very hard to shape it. Fill in some Jicama and carrots filling (which can be prepared earlier) and wrap it like a "purse" shape. Shape into curry puff (*_^) also acceptable.
  • Place it on the banana leaf and ready to be steam. My purse pocket size of Chai Kuih required 10-13mins to cook. I will open the lid when it cooked half way and glitter some oil over the Chai Kuih. Cover the lid and let it steam a little while. You will know it is cook through when the skin is transparent.
  • Do not over steam the Chai Kuih otherwise the shape is ruin/out of shape.
 
Chai Kuih requires lot of work. But it is nice to be eaten with Kampung Koh Chili sauce. It is my family's favorite snack. I always shape the purse as one mouth size, easy to eat and nice to serve too.

*I've use this recipe since I was in Form 6. My Aunt brought us to her friend's house to learn. As if she is learning, cousin sisters and I were tag along too. Somehow, I'm the only one paying attention or I'm the only one who got the interest to learn and make besides eating them, LoL. All of them including my mom forget the measurement and how to do it. My Aunt's friend was very generous to show us how to do the normal Chai Kuih (recipe as above), normal Chai Kuih with Chinese Chives/Kuchai filling and Teochew Chai Kuih which is pink color (so far never make before, use the same recipe - exchange the Tang Mien Flour to Rice Flour add some red coloring).

Comments

  1. I love the Hakka chai kueh. With chestnuts, beancurds.

    Happy Dongzhi festival to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wahhhh.. very nice.. homemade ones are greatly craved by me.. hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is Tang Mien flour? Is it wheat? My girl cannot eat anything wheat, gluten-intolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. STP, yes it is wheat starch. Usually use this flour to make the Chinese Dim Sum - Har Gao's skin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loves this, but if you ask me to make it, i will be lazy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I like this chai kuih very much! But so lazy to make hah..hah... I can eat many pieces with cili sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a Teochew and love to eat Chai Kueh very much!!!!! Who says Hakka Chai Kueh?? Yours looked very pretty shaped and delicious. You are so fortunate to learn this since Form 6 and still remember the method.

    Luckily my wife learnt most of my mum's Thai dishes and baking before mum went to heavens. Now I still could ask my wife to cook & bake for me. Hope you will teach your kids all your fabulous cooking and baking, not forgetting your beautiful mango rose!!! I never forget this. Ha ha....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the generous tulips. I really appreciate it.

Popular Posts