SUSHI AT HOME!!!
Hey Hey Hey, everyone is waiting for my Sushi turns up rite? and here you are....enjoy reading ya.
Sushi Making: You must have Sushi Nori or Seaweed and bamboo mat.
Before making sushi, I wrap the bamboo mat with plastic cling wrap / food wrapper to avoid sushi rice from sticking onto it.
Some side ingredients that I need for my sushi. Chicken Floss, toasted sesame seeds and also mayonnaise. How come my mayonnaise is the plastic bag? I was thinking of piping out (by cutting a tiny hole) the mayonnaise for decoration later.
Besides that, I have carrots (blanched a few min with boiling hot water, just to make it soft a bit), cucumbers, cooked crab meat sticks and sausages.
Jeng Jeng Jeng...........Here comes the sushi rolling!!!
Making Maki Sushi (seaweed roll sushi)
Place the sushi nori on the bamboo mat with the rough side facing up.Spread a thin layer of rice on the seaweed. I used the wooden ladle to spread the sushi rice. Please wet the wooden ladle with water for easy spreading. No mess at all. For convenient use, placed a bowl of water just beside you.
Arranged the filling ingredients on the center. And start rolling and pressed tightly. If you found out that the edge seaweed is not sealed properly, just dampen that area with some water.
The sushi roll turn out nicely and not even a tear. Guess making a square shape sushi roll, need more practice, huh? Next time k...
I have made Crab Filament Maki Sushi
Also sausage, chicken floss with mayo Maki Sushi
Making Ura Maki (Inside Out Sushi Roll)
Firstly, same process like making Maki Sushi when spreading the rice. But for this Ura Maki, you got to make sure the rice is spread evenly on the entire seaweed. Next, flip over and placed the ingredients (here I put crab sticks with sausages) neatly on the seaweed surface. Wrap and roll tightly. Lastly coated the sushi roll with toasted sesame seeds. I asked my hubby to get me some Ebikko (orangey prawn roe) but he can't get it for me, so I replaced it with sesames seeds. My MIL like the this very much cos the sesame seeds make the sushi favorable.
Making Temaki Sushi (Hand Roll)
Another easy sushi here. Everytime my hubby will order California Roll Sushi from Sushi King. This time I made some for him and for the rest at home.
1. Cut the Sushi Nori/ Seaweed into half.
2. Spread some rice evenly on the center.
3. Arranged the filling on the rice.
4. Roll up to form a cone shape.
Here you are my Fried Ebi California Temaki Sushi. I made about 4 cones.
Making Nigiri Sushi (Finger Pressed Sushi)
for kids at home -Just for fun.
Please wet your hand for doing this Nigiri Sushi. Place some sushi rice on your palm. Depends on what shape you want to form. I'm making like a ball shape in order for the octopus sausage to stand still on top the rice *_^. I piped out the mayonnaise to make their eyes and mouth. LoL. If you want them to look more cute, place a food picker on top of the octopus, it will look like their wearing a hat!!!
How to make the octopus shape? I grab the idea from this blog ENTRY! Try it out, the kids just love it.
In a nutshell
This is our brunch on last SUNDAY.
Calvin finished his octopus and crab shape Sushi, some Maki Sushi and one Fried Ebi California Roll. He praised me "Mummy pandai lor, like Food Channel making...like in the TV". I told him, where got pandai, I just follow the recipe book and seen some video clips from Youtube... @_@.
Previous entry:
Tips on how to cut Sushi nicely.
~If you have knife specially for Sushi which is better still, but our normal knife will do the tricks too. Take a wet cloth and wipe the knife surface, make sure the knife is sharp enough. Cut the Sushi roll into half, then again cut into half again and so on. While you cutting a few times, you may find the knife is sticky, then wipe the knife with the wet cloth and continue to cut (If you are hardworking, makes the knife wet everytime after you cut it). As a result, the Sushi will be all in the same size and neatly.

Wow, you made cooking so easy and fun! Unfortunately, I don't have your talent...and I wish you were my neighbor, so that I can grab a bite on your maki sushi, haha :))
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog. I truly appreciate it. Have a happy weekend with your family!
I wish I was there for brunch. I must try making this. Thanks for all the tips! :)
ReplyDeleteI miss the sushi making session, hehe..
ReplyDeleteYumz yumz~
hahaha, i agreed with ur son comment lah, 'my mummy so pannai, like in tv'..hehe.. me still dont have the urge yet to try making sushi, coz only me alone eat jer..
ReplyDeletewaahhhh....this look delicious :) must have been a very filling Sunday :)
ReplyDeletewow, love the octopus sausages
ReplyDeleteI sent on the next day you gave me your address using normal pos. Perhaps we wait for another week. If you still don't receive, let me know. I shall resend you with another gift. I am sorry to keep you waiting for so long.
ReplyDeleteThis superb good that I lose word to describe.
ReplyDeleteyou made me hungry! I love sushi. i always thought they are hard to make.
ReplyDeletehttp://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/
Wow, is it really that easy? I love Jap food, so does my Vic, sure will save a lot of money by learning to do myself. How do you cook sushi rice? Hehe...
ReplyDeleteAppreciate with all your comments!
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased indeed. *_^
Angeline, u r good in making sushi. Can become sushi sifu jor..
ReplyDeleteWah.....very nice homemade sushi.... No need to spent at the Jap restaurant already. hehe...
ReplyDeleteLing: Not really, this is my second trial. Really not bad lar. Hope that my 3rd time is getting much better.
ReplyDeletemNhL: You think so? But we will still visit Jap restaurant for other food.
Wow..you are good at making sushi. Looks so good.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Calvin too... You are very pandai lah! The sushi are so professionally done. I bet they taste great too :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so good in making sushi, Angeline! I tried the octopus sausage once, but the effect didn't turn out nicely :(
ReplyDeleteMummy Gwen: I follow from the recipe book, everyone can do it. Im just lucky!
ReplyDeleteChloe: Taste not bad, almost alike sushi from outside.
Yvonne: Refer to that link, she said, cut the sausage while it is semi frozen, then cut deeper, so the octopus leg will spread wider when boiling it.
Great tip. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd those sure look good and tempting. *drool*
Thanks Lina.
ReplyDelete