Cake Decorating: How to make your own chocolate transfer sheet
SPIDERMAN CAKE continues.....
When I plan to bake Calvin a birthday cake. I'm prepared to take some effort to search for a nice picture of Spiderman and also preparing the cake ingredients. Choosing a perfect picture is not easy too. I try to find one which is nice and easy for me to draw out the outline. Luckily, I'm grateful to get some advices from Doreen @ MuiMui: My Little Favourites DIY. Please visit her creative bakery blog. She taught me how to make the chocolate transfer method. I'm impressed reading her blog post ~ making Elmo chocolate transfer.
Doreen sent me some nice Spiderman pictures to choose from. Somehow, Calvin pick another Spiderman picture from the Internet - the photo as above. I printed out the picture in A4 size paper. Resize the picture if needed in order to fit in the size of the cake you wanted. Like mine, I baked a 9" round cake. Get yourself a sufficient piece of transparent baking grease sheet. Place it on top the picture which printed earlier. Slowly traced and draw out the picture. Easy right? This step you can always draw it a few days ahead.
You can choose either white chocolate or dark chocolate to draw out the Spiderman outline. For my son's Spiderman, I choose dark cooking chocolate from Tulips brand. Use double boiled method to melt the chocolate in consistency. Not too dilute, melt till the chocolate is in creamy type. If it so, please wait for the chocolate to set for a while before drawing on the transparent baking grease sheet.
I prepare myself with a few of small size paper piping cones. It makes us easy to grab like we hold a pencil or pen. Before drawing, cut the bottom of the paper cone. Remember not to cut too big hole. (like mirror image). For my Spiderman, very fine line is needed. Invert the Spiderman picture sheet to another side, which is without the pencil line. Later, I started to draw. At early stage, I try to control the chocolate and then slowly, the chocolate temperature is good and smooth to draw. Try not to draw too slow, cos may afraid the chocolate get harden and it is difficult to draw. When it is done, let is dry for couple of hours or more.
Here you are my chocolate Spiderman. Next, I fill in the outline with chocolate for the second round. Because I want to make the line thicker and have darker outline. Once the chocolate dried up, it easily get breaks. So be extra careful when it is done. I placed it somewhere so no one can touch my chocolate transfer. I did not place the chocolate design sheet in the fridge. I afraid the chocolate may melt and smear the cake surface.
Final step, place the chocolate transfer on top of the cake surface. Slowly flip it over and peel off the grease paper and the Spiderman is on the cake. Press a little bit so the chocolate stick on the cake. Finally, you can see the right side of the Spiderman picture. Yeah that's it! Hip Hip Hurray!!! Somehow, I still break a few of the chocolate pieces, especially the chocolate letter pieces and his fingers. Calvin eaten most of the chocolate letters.
Coming up next, piping jelly method.






very dedicated work.. all hard work to prepare for the big day ah... that's MUM! SUPERMUM!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Cythia, love your detailed work, Angeline.
ReplyDeleteYou are really good! This requires very steady hands!
ReplyDeleteWow! You are getting better every day Angeline! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI am impressed! You are getting better each day in your baking. Did Calvin flip when he first saw the cake that mummy bake?
ReplyDeletesounds like so simple but i know it is not! must be really patient for this :)
ReplyDeleteLatest: Little Tiramisu Dream
Oh Angeline you are really good. Now I know how you draw the spiderman, haha before that I thought you are drawing directly on the cake leh.
ReplyDeleteSuch tedious work! Again, I must praise you and your effort! Thumbs up~~
ReplyDeleteMust be a very patience person to do this work~ U did it well.....
ReplyDeletemaybe next time i will try with simple pattern first..Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Angeline,
ReplyDeleteLike how you explain into detail about how you make the chocolate transfer method.
Thanks for the mention.
Cheers!
This looks so expert!!! Definitely love this!!! =]
ReplyDelete