A Malaysian Classic: Kuih Dadar/Kuih Ketayap
We were informed early of the month, that Calvin's kindergarten is organizing a small National Day celebration on the 30th Aug'13, which is yesterday. Every students are requested to bring any kind of Malaysian local food to school. It can be either biscuits, snacks and drinks as well. Last year, he brought a Mooncake. But this year I suggested to bring a local Malay dessert - Kuih Ketayap. Browsed from the bookshelf and I found the recipe.
Kuih Dadar (Adapted from Hawker's Kuih-Muih Favourites, page 13)
Filling ingredients
1 grated coconut
1 piece or 120gm palm sugar
1/2tsp salt
3tbsp of water
To make the filling, cook the palm sugar and water until dissolved. Add in the grated coconut and stir until well combined. Remove and leave it cool.
Wrapper Ingredients
180g plain flour
1 egg
1/3tsp salt
350ml Pandan (screw-pine leafs) juice
For the wrapper, mix all
the ingredients until smooth. Strain the batter if necessary for
smoother crepes. Once completed, rest in the fridge for 30mins. Heat up the pan, spoon enough batter into the frying pan. Cook under low heat until cooked and slightly burn on both sides.
Then, wrap each crepes with grated coconut filling. Fold up and roll up as a spring rolls. Probably I can get 20 rolls instead of 12, if I can fried thinner crepes.
Calvin always be my first food tester. He always give me good review and comments without fail. Thank you for his support.
Since everyone will brought a food, teacher advised not to bring so many. So I just prepare some for him to bring it to his kinder only.
Here I'm sharing this Kuih Dadar/Kuih Ketayap with Cook-Your-Books #3 on this 31st Aug 2013, hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours.
Yesterday morning, Calvin also wore on his blue Baju Melayu which I bought specially for his Malaysia Day event last year H>E>R>E. So this year, I let him wear it again - on a different function (*_^). For a complete look, he suggested to get him a "songkok" pula tu.
Calvin told me besides enjoying a variety of Malaysian local tradition food and snack with his friends, they were also taught to make Hibiscus Flower during art and craft session - our "Bunga Kebangsaan" he said. Later on, before he went to bed, he raised his hand and shouted "Merdeka, Merdeka, Merdeka" happily. So Happy National Day to everyone.
p/s: I might not be blogging for this coming couple of weeks. Need more time to juggle between office work, organizing an event this coming Malaysia Day, Calvin's birthday and my friend's wedding - really looking forward to that. Furthermore, I shall continue to blog about my Cameron and Hatyai trip again next time. How I really wish to stop the clock from ticking.... Till then, please take good care of yourself for me until I get back. So S.Y.S!




Here, we call that kueh lenggang. Just bought a few for afternoon tea the day before. Nice!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have these events in school but I do think parents must also do their part to inculcate in their kids the love for their homeland. Often, sadly, the damage starts in the home.
Btw, you've got one handsome son there. Looks like the mum or who? Wink! Wink!
I reckon, my son looks more like me. hehehe..
DeleteGood morning Angeline,
ReplyDeleteYou have so much patience to make this. I think making this takes more effort than just baking local cookies. Good for you!
Your son must be very happy to take this food to school to share with his friends.
Happy Merdeka Day to you and your family!
I always choose easy one to make.
DeleteHello Angeline,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the gifts. I got them on friday.
And for a Chinese, you are talented in making a Malay kueh.
Sometimes, I have too much work too. That's why I couldn't update my blog daily. No worries.
ReplyDeletehey, i love that idea of that handwritten message on that piece of floral print paper mat.. in fact i wanted to do something like this, write my post on a piece of paper or postcard, then just snap a photo.. it's kind of special i think :)
ReplyDeleteThat's a very good idea. Let people see your neat hanndwriting.
Deleteactually this is one of my favorite nyonya kuih of all time.. i didn't know its name until quite recently, last time just referred it by describing itself, or simply the "green coconut popiah"!! hahaha.. the others that i like would be the mini donut made of sweet potato (what is the name anyone??), kuih talam and also the tapioca cake..
ReplyDeleteU mean kuih keria?
DeleteHmm your taste bug almost like me. Maybe we are not that typical type of person towards food.
DeleteHaiz, is bud not bug!
Deleteyour kuih ketayap aka kuih dadar certainly look delicious needless to say since it's one of my favorite, hahaha.. i also like the skin to be a little more burnt, like you can see some brown spots sparingly on the skin, looks nice also (like leopard skin, haha!!)..
ReplyDeleteYa, but mine was not so perfect. Should practice more.
Deleteso nice of you to find time to make your own kuih, because i think most of the parents will just go and buy from outside, easier and more convenient, haha!! at least you spent time with Calvin in the kitchen doing that few pieces, i guess this is a good bonding time too.. smart move!! :)
ReplyDeleteHubby and MIL also asked why don't I just get it from pasar? But I feel like making it my own. It's simple to me.
Deletewow, you look like going to be very busy in the next few weeks huh?? you've got so many things and activities to do, never mind, the almighty Taiping Baking Queen sure will be able to juggle all of them well.. all the best to you!! :)
ReplyDeleteBut will try to find time to blog at night. No worry will come over to everyone's blog to comment cos I certainly miss you guys.
DeleteAngeline, thumbs up for making kuih ketayap! I love it but the last time I ate it was more than 10 years ago hah! hah!
ReplyDeleteThanks
Deletewow, I love it! It has been my favorite as I love coconut..
ReplyDeleteand the kids must have love it too..
DeleteI used to make kueh ketayap too when I was younger... I like to put lots of fillings and some look like popiah in the end.... Hahaha
DeleteWenn and Claire, this is my fav kuih.
DeleteOh I love that kueh. I have made them some 20 years ago when a Malay friend taught me to make them. I learnt to make it fragrant with the right pandan leaves that smells good as not all the pandans have nice smell. Next is the Gula Melaka's brand that has also got to be quality with fragrant smell. Adoi! It sounds so tough but the results were different then. You are damn good in the kitchen and can bake & cook anything! Angeline Bagus!
ReplyDeleteTM, janganlah puji banyak sangat. I always try and find simple recipe. This is very simple right? So anyone can bake and cook and so do you!
DeleteYour son looks handsome in that clothes. Why he didn't raise his hand like Bapa Malaysia and let you snap his photo? That would be fun.
ReplyDeleteHahaha..
DeleteHi Angeline,
ReplyDeleteYour kuih dadar looks perfect! This is one of my favourite local kuih. I love the smell of pandan with the gula melaka coconut.
Calvin is a handsome young man! He looks a lot like you, and Hebe looks like your hubby! :)
Thanks for linking to CYB!
You're most welcome and thanks for your compliments
DeleteI love this, my mom always buy this for me every Monday!!! =]
ReplyDeleteSo "xing fu"
Deletei love to eat the skin only but not the filling, i dont like coconut..hehehe..but urs certainly looks tempting..
ReplyDeleteActly me too. Depends on what type of kuih or food. But this kuih ketayap I like it very much.
DeleteBeautiful! Very lovely green...must be a lot of pandan juice u added. I love this kuih too but haven't eaten it in a long time. We used to call it kuih gulung.
ReplyDeleteWhen I fry the pancakes, the whole house smell so nice with pandan fragrant
Deletewell, i like this green kuih too~
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog.
DeleteWillie hope you like it very much.
ReplyDeleteHowcu make the skin so thin. I like thin skin. Taste very nice
ReplyDeleteHahaha, my friend said still not enough thin. Can make thinner still.
DeleteHiw?
DeleteLol...he look so handsome in baju melayu . Good genes fr mum n dad
ReplyDelete*pai seh" lar... dun say liddat.
Deletesure look delicious. I like how you wrote the recipe on the yellow doily and decorated the box with them *wink*
ReplyDeleteCalvin look so handsome in the baju melayu :D
Yes thanks and I really love the yellow dolly papers purchased from Unikbarang. Will make use all of them by this month for making gifts.
DeleteGood evening Angeline...
ReplyDeleteThe kuih is so nicely made...
ReplyDeleteThanks
DeleteWah..delicious....and homemade...so thoughtful. Love Calvin in Baju melayu. :)
ReplyDeleteI love this traditional Malay crepe! Yummy!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd Calvin is very handsome in Baju Melayu.
Thanks Rose
DeleteOooo..the color of the crepe is very beautiful
ReplyDeleteOMG...i think i really need to learn the folding skill from you. So neat and tidy
ReplyDeleteHehehe, you help me to fold the pandan leaves cup and i teach how to roll.
DeleteU sure boh? got hole neh
DeleteThis is my favourite Malay kuih and my girl love it too. But basically she like anything which is green color.
ReplyDeleteOne of my fav Malay kueh.
ReplyDeleteYou can tell that this is homemade when there is so much filling in each one. Great job!
Happy taking a break! Enjoy everything that's going on!
He looks good in his baju melayu. :)
ReplyDeleteI love kuih ketayap! Tho I call it kuih gulung. ;)
ReplyDeleteI feel like wanna eat this now but kenot.. :(
ReplyDeletealo alo...long time no post...:p
ReplyDeleteMmm, I love this kuih!! Please send some to me! :p
ReplyDeleteIts one of my favorite but oh me oh my didn't know its called Kuih Dadar until today. Would usually point at the kuih without asking the name haha. tQVM
ReplyDeleteHi! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to
all your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!
my webpage New Launch!Onze @ Tanjong Pagar
Oh! I like this kuih!~
ReplyDeleteMarvelous, what a webpage it is! This blog provides useful data to us, keep it
ReplyDeleteup.
my website :: Lift and glow pro reviews ()
I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create
ReplyDeletethis website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
Plz answer back as I'm looking to construct my own blog and
would like to find out where u got this from.
kudos
http://www.letras.etc.br/wiki/index.php?title=Hydrellatone, ,_reviews
Hi sweet Angel,
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favourite Malay kueh. The aroma of pandan n hula Melaka is simply irresistible.
Your handsome boy looks so sweet in his baju melayu.
mui