Classic Cinnamon Rolls

Woo Hoo... So how is everyone doing over there? I really wish to keep on track again after M.I.A for the past weeks. Many blog hop to be done today. Hehehe.... Although I'm late, I still want to wish my Muslims friends and readers "Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri".

Today I need to post a baking entry and submit to my usual Bake Along Event with Joyce, Lena and Zoe before the submission close in just a few days. So this time, we need to bake Classic Cinnamon Rolls. Hmm... I love this bread because it was my childhood bread and until now I'm still love it. Usually I will bought it from "Pasar Malam" - Night market.

Bake-Along #49
Classic Cinnamon Rolls (Make 14 Rolls), a recipe from The Williams-Sonoma Baking Book.
Yeast mixture
60ml warm water
1tsp sugar
2 1/2tsp active dry yeast
In a bowl, combine the warm water and 1 tsp of sugar. Sprinkle with the yeast and let it stand for 2 minutes, then swirl and lei stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
Dough


2tbsp melted butter

1/2tsp salt

250ml warm milk

2 egg yolks

125gm sugar (I used 50gm only)

545gm all purpose flour

80gm all-purpose flour, for kneading

  • Spread the butter over the bottom and halfway up the sides of a large bowl. In another large bowl, combine the 545gm flour, the 50gm sugar and the salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture, egg yolks and warm milk. Slowly mix together until the dough can be formed into a large ball.
  • Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Knead, sprinkling the 80gm of flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking, until smooth and elastic about 10 minutes. 
  • Gather the dough into a ball, place in the buttered bowl and turn to coat all sides with butter. Cover with kitchen towel. Set in a warm, draft free place and let it rise until doubled the size about 11/2 hours. Mine doubled within an hour.


Sugar syrup paste
150gm light brown sugar
2tbsp melted butter
155gm light corn syrup (I used 100gm golden syrup)
Sugar Cinnamon mixture
100gm light brown sugar
2tsp cinnamon powder
90gm raisins (soaked in warm water for 15minutes, squeezed and squeezed dry)
*From recipe, 330gm light brown sugar is needed (I used 250gm only)

In a bowl, mix half of the brown sugar, 2tbsp of butter and the corn syrup to a smooth paste. Scoop half into each 9 inch round cake pans and spread over the bottoms. In a small bowl mix the remaining brown sugar with cinnamon.

Extras

2tbsp melted butter for spreading

2tbsp melted butter for brushing before baking

  • Punch down the dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 25 x 45 cm rectangle. Brush with 2 tbsp of melted butter, Scatter with the raisins and slightly press. Sprinkle the dough wit the cinnamon sugar mixture. 
  • Starting at one long edge, roll the dough tightly into a cylinder. Cut the cylinder crosswise into 14 rounds. Place 1 round in the centre of each pan. Arrange remaining rounds around it.
  • Cover and let the dough rise until doubled, for 45-60minutes.
  • Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius. Brush the rolls with the remaining melted butter. Bake until golden brown, about 30minutes. Since I’ve baked 2 pans together, I baked about 40 minutes. Place a wire rack over each pan and invert the rolls. Let cool and break apart to serve.
 
Usually, I will bake at night right after work - approximately 3 hours for me to bake and clean. Baking this was time consuming cos have to wait for the bread dough to rise. Fortunately our company closed a day earlier , so I was able to bake it on Raya eve. Phew!
 
I'm not good in making bread and can said this is my second time making bread. I followed the recipe pretty closely. And I found the sugar measurement used in the recipe is quite a lot. So I reduced it. Usually, I'll read o 1 or 2 times through, make sure the ingredients I can get it easily and the method of making it. You'll noticed I break the recipe and method in a few parts to avoid confusion and for my future reference.
My Verdict: The bread texture is soft and got holes in it. After reducing the sugar, I still found it a bit too sweet. Maybe next time, I will reduced more - I guess can totally ignored the sugar measurement from the bread dough as we have the sweetness from the sugar syrup paste, sugar cinnamon sprinkled and raisins. This Classic Cinnamon Rolls recipe is tremendously a great baking experience and it is delicious to eat. 

Here submitting my Classic Cinnamon Rolls to Free and Easy Bake-Along Blog Hop Event hosted by: Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours and Lena from Her Frozen Wings.

Comments

  1. Hi Angeline,
    Your rolls looks lovely, perfectly baked! Now I am wishing that I have one to eat again! I find it a little too sweet myself, even though I have reduced the sugar. Will reduce a little more of the sugar the next time, overall these rolls are delicious!
    Thank you for baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce you're welcome. As I mentioned again and again, Bake Along Event really helps me to bake new stuffs and learn new things from baking.

      Delete
  2. First of all I wanna say, I love love love this cinnamon rolls!! The sweeter the better! Haha xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw you posted the photos in FB, I really tempted to do it next week! But now after reading the steps, I think I wanna surrender already la!! Me very lazy one leh :p

      Anyway, how long it takes for you to finish everything?

      Delete
    2. And where did you get the dry yeast?

      Delete
    3. Same with me, i lazy one also, lol...

      Delete
    4. Hayley, get instant yeast from the bakery shop, it is good enough.

      Time? You can actually count from the steps when you read closely. Have to wait 1 hr and maybe need another 1/2 hr to let the dough rise in doubled. Then when you shape it to a rectangular, it takes probably 15 or more, cos we do not want it to become too thick. Then, have to wait the swirl bread dough for another 45 - 60 mins.

      Delete
    5. Hayley actually I was planning to let you gals try after I baked freshly from the oven, during our meet up at Nagaria. But I couldn't make it....

      Delete
  3. i also love cinnamon rolls!! just like the cinnamon and the sugar glazing and also the raisins.. i actually love the smell of cinnamon sugar, haha, though i heard some friends complain it smells like incense for praying~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, can get cinnamon rolls from pasar malam when you were a kid already?? or you mean now?? long time never been to pasar malam, but when i see cinnamon rolls in bakery shop, most of the time i'll pick one up..

      Delete
    2. your cinnamon rolls definitely look DELICIOUS and i would want to try!! exactly the same as what i used to buy from bakery shops.. the texture and also the look.. heaven!! i feel like having one now, hehe~~

      Delete
    3. another successful bake from the Taiping Baking Queen!! bravo!! claps!! i am wondering what's next that you are going to bake?? :)

      Delete
    4. Hi SK! Cinnamon really smells good leh. Have you tried coffee with a dash of cinnamon powder? It taste good and smells good too.

      Delete
    5. Hey, thank you for your compliments. I was surprise too that I able to get almost the same texture. Just a little bit too sweet

      Delete
    6. Taiping Baking Queen? I thought I was the cupcake Queen or something else? hahaha... just kidding.

      Delete
  4. wow, I simply love cinnamon rolls..I love the nice fragrance of the bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I can send some for you and your family members.

      Delete
  5. I also love to eat cinnamon rolls. Yummy! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can ask your sis to bake is it right? Is cinnamon again Mun!

      Delete
  6. Yummmm!!! I like! My missus loves the Chinese version - the ham chim beng but at times, they tend to be oily. That's deep fried, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya Suituapui, ham chim beng is deep fried...

      Delete
    2. Ham Chim Beng is the Chinese version eh? I really don;t know about it.

      Delete
  7. I like the freshly baked bread... very "heong" when come out fresh from the oven... I am sure yours taste very nice too! Yummsss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love the smell too. I even love to see when my breads are baking in the oven. Gorgeously rise up...

      Delete
  8. Hi Angeline,

    Yeah... totally agree that these buns are stickily sweet and we love them!

    You reckon that they are a little too sweet for you? I'm guessing that the use of golden syrup might cause your buns a little more sweeter and your sugar syrup a little less viscous than light corn syrup... causing the buns to absorb the syrup a little more... I'm not entirely sure but might be right guessing this :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? golden syrup right maybe it is too sweet. I will try to get light corn syrup and try to bake it one more time again.

      Thanks for your advices, Zoe.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I'm the lazy type, i only bake or cook items that are simple, hehe...

      Delete
    2. Your simple cooks and buns are simply amazing Sharon.

      Delete
  10. I love to eat Cinnamon Rolls! They are so heavenly and nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Cinnamon Rolls sold at One Utama is quite expensive but I love to eat them with coffee. I feel so Ang Moh Lang eating that way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm, those bread and bakery shop here didn't sell cinnamon only at Pasar Malam.

      Delete
  12. Looks soooooooooo goooooooooood!! I'm craving for it already...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angeline, your cinnamon rolls are lovely! I have got to bake this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, you can do and bake bread better than me.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. you making me drool again..wish i can have one with a good cup of coffee

      Delete
    2. when i go taiping I'll drop you a line okay..hint hint :p

      Delete
    3. but if you ignore the sugar totally from the bread dough, sure will have enough taste ka?

      Delete
    4. Mamarazzi, I think can. Cos the sugar glaze and sugar contained inside the bread filling really sweet ler...

      Delete
    5. Hey really ar? When are you coming? Let us know earlier, so we can prepare ok?

      Delete
  15. good morning angeline! this is your 2nd time baking bread? we have a few more breads coming for our bake along theme! i did not use all the syrup paste as i find that it's a little too much and maybe too sweet too. So nice you can get cinnamon rolls in taiping..i'm not sure abt here but i hvnt seen them in ipoh at all :)thx for baking along with us and hope all is well at work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy, it look very tempting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so good. You amaze me with your baking skill. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hard for me to resist to see good baking..it is one of my favourite bun too..I usually buy from the shop because I do not how to bake buns..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnes, I'm not good in baking buns and bread too. There are more rooms for me to learn.

      Delete
  19. nice swirls you made, Angeline
    this is really good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the generous tulips. I really appreciate it.

Popular Posts