AFF Oct'13 - Tofu Miso Soup と Chawanmushi
Usually when we order food in Japanese restaurant, they always have Japanese set meal comes with Miso soup and Chawanmushi. Have you ever wonder to make your own at home? As for us, we love Japanese food very much, almost everyone at home. Since participating the AFF - Japan month this Oct, I take this initiative to cook simple and homie Japanese cooking for them to enjoy. Before that, there are several essential Japanese ingredients needed in Japanese cooking. Thanks to my brother working around KL, helped me to get most of the important ingredients which I can't find it here. Such as: Mirin, Dashi - powdered / stock, Miso paste and Bonito Flakes. Sake is very important in Japanese cooking too, but we can omit that and replaced with water and the taste it is still favorable.

Refer to Nami from Just One Cookbook , there are many types of Miso paste. So for Miso soup, she used Awase/Mixed Miso Paste. So my brother got me this brand - Maruko Boy.

A good Miso soup much depends on the stock. They called is as Dashi. Dashi can be packet and in liquid form. Again, I try to make my homemade Dashi from scratch. Please refer to the simple recipe from Nami's side here: Homemade Dashi stock. All you need is just some kelps - Kombu and Bonito Flakes. This Dashi stock is commonly used in any Donburi, Chawanmushi, noodle soup and of course Miso soup.

Nami also presented a very "Basic Tofu Miso Soup" recipe at her site, which I have followed step by step.
- 3 cups homemade Dashi Stock (or any instant/ready Dashi Stock boiled with water)
- 2 1/2 - 3 Tbsp. Miso (I used awase/mixed miso)
- 6 ounces firm silken tofu or soft tofu
- 2 tsp. dried wakame (I used back the Kombu)
- 1 green onion (optional)

On the other hand, Chawanmushi is a Japanese egg custard. This steamed egg custard looks pretty simple but it really takes skill to steam it till perfection. There are no limitation what kind of ingredients we wanted to put in, but usually the authentic Japanese Chawanmushi has Gingko and Kamaboko(Japanese fish cake). I have to omit Kamaboko, because I can't get any of it here and I replaced it with shrimps.
In order for me to participate in this AFF event, we have to follow and cook something edible that is a specialty of Japan traditional or modern. So I made the basic egg custard with chicken.

- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup Dashi stock
- Some chicken thigh (Saute slightly)
- 1 large egg (I used 2 eggs)
- Ginkgo nuts (Precooked/boiled)
- Some shimeji mushrooms (Blanched)
- Thin slices Kamaboko (I replaced it with prawns)
- Mistuba (I used spring onion)
- You can also add other seasonal ingredients*
- ½ tsp. mirin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. soy sauce
Seasonings - to be mix in the eggs mixture

A very important step that you mustn't skip is to strain the egg mixture through a sieve in another bowl. Then you'll have a smooth and silky egg custard.

Put in the chicken, Gingko and Shimeiji mushrooms inside the ramekins or Chawanmushi cups (If you have).

Start boiling the water. When it is boiled, reduce to the lowest heat. My first attempt failed and I don't have a very smooth egg custard. So for the second time, my mum advised me not close the lid completely. This is another way to reduce the heat and slow down the egg from over cooked.

If you're a first timer, you can always open the lid and check one or twice whether the egg is cooked. It is alright to do that. After 5minutes, I place the prawn slices and spring onions on top and continue to cover the lid and let it steam for another 5-8minutes or until it is cooked.

So here you're my Chawanmushi with chicken. I prepared for my son for his supper. I bet this is the best and healthy snack for him at night.

Chawanmushi is definitely a perfection when it is not too dry, maintain a silky and smooth surface. When we scoop in, we can actually taste the egg custard along with some soup in it.
I'm submitting both Tofu Miso Soup & Chawanmushi to Asian Food Fest Japan Month, hosted by Alan of Travelling Foodies.
Also not forget to submit my Tofu Miso Soup to Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake with the theme, " SOY BEAN"
I'm submitting both Tofu Miso Soup & Chawanmushi to Asian Food Fest Japan Month, hosted by Alan of Travelling Foodies.
Also not forget to submit my Tofu Miso Soup to Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake with the theme, " SOY BEAN"


Oooo...lovely! My daughter would love this. She's so into Japanese!
ReplyDeleteHi Angeline... new layout of your blog! Nice.. I always wanted to change mine too but never do it till now..
ReplyDeleteYou are really good in cooking too... anything also can??:p
yeah, i also noticed that.. it seems that when we order a bento set, most of the time there will be a bowl of miso soup and also a cup of chawanmushi.. hehe!! i wonder if this is the malaysian custom or really the authentic japanese practice?? :p
ReplyDeletei always welcome chawanmushi in my set, haha!! it really adds up to the satisfaction, but i think not all can make really smooth and nice chawanmushi.. so you are making your own attempt this round, and first thing i have to say, it's loaded with goodness - for sure, homemade ones definitely more loaded compared to what you have outside :)
Deletethough simple but i think it's not easy to master also, if you really want it to be just the right texture and smooth and flavorful.. ah, cannot be lazy not to sieve huh?? this is an important extra step.. and i also heard to make smooth steam egg, you add in cold water..
Deleteand your mom's golden thumb of rule - do not close the lid completely, leaving a gap so that the steam can escape and the heat is reduced so the cooking process slows down a bit.. and the result of your second attempt, i am sure it was perfect and yummy yummy as i can see from the photos.. bravo and well done!! :)
DeleteSK, chawanmushi and miso soup always served in Japan. Even hotel also served it. But I'm very sure Japanese home cooking definitely will have it all the time. Just like Korean loves kimchi
DeleteI loves japanese food, this is my all time favourite... hehe...
ReplyDeleteI always order Chawanmushi when I eat in Japanese restaurant!!! =]
ReplyDeletesalute you...a lot of work leh
ReplyDeletesure your family appreciate it very much
DeleteWhoooooaaa! I am very impressed with your Chawanmushi which looked better than those I ate in Japan or the 5 Star restautants in KL. I am sue you put in the best ingredients too! I am sure your entry will WIN...!!!!
ReplyDeleteI also love Miso Soup after finding out that it is a healthy soup and not Ajinomoto-mixed with water. Muahahahaha
ReplyDeleteOne day I hope you will open a Fusion Restaurant since you have the natural talent and expertise in the kitchen! What a lucky family of yours to have a good chef like you!!! Clap! Clap! Clap!
I must admit that whenever I see any roses made of fruits on TV, I will remember your Mango Rose!!!! It has etched permanently in my head. LOL
ReplyDeleteThanks for your compliments TM. Ya I noticed that too... u surely will mentioned about my mango rose all the time. Proof that u think of me... hehe
DeleteI am not a big fan of chawanmushi but my hubby is, hehe~
ReplyDeleteWhere you get that miso soup paste? Don't think can find at Taiping huh?
Taiping u can fint it from organic shop. But those were local made one and some is from Taiwan. I would prefer to get it or imported one from Japan. Different miso will have different taste. My brother helped me to get it from Pavillion.. So coincidence he was there that time.
DeleteWow! So sedap. Good luck yeah?
ReplyDeleteThere are no competition ler... it just to submit the cooking base on the theme for the month and we just share our posting.
DeleteChawanmushi is my favourite! Especially yours with so many ginkgo nuts in them.
ReplyDeleteNot keen with miso soup but I love the chawan mushi u made. I am still very bad in steaming eggs. The texture is not smooth.
ReplyDeleteI dun really fancy miso soup, but I love chawanmushi! yours look really good!
ReplyDeleteI love miso soup and also chawanmushi. Yours look soooo good!
ReplyDeleteI love both your Japanese dishes! Regarding your question about why some the postings don't have soya beans, we also accept dishes with soya sauce or soy bean paste :)
ReplyDelete