Pettina Sponge Mix

Te Jia is one of the famous store selling baking supplies in Taiping town. May (the lady boss) did introduced their latest product - Pettina Sponge Mix flour to me -  but I didn't bought it that time. So one day and so coincidence, my aunt asked me to bring her over there to get it. Because she also heard many reviews about this ready mix flour which can make nice 鸡蛋糕 (Ji Dan Gao). Ended my aunt and I bought one packet home.
One packet of 500gm Pettina Sponge Mix costs RM5.10.
mix with 300ml of water
Yeap! That is all the steps you need to make nice 鸡蛋糕.
All you need to do is mix well and make sure no lumps inside the batter.
Pour over the cupcake liners about 80% full... because the batter will rise up nicely when steam.
Because it is the first time, I will just mix some batter with cocoa powder to make the cakes look nice later.
Use a toothpick to swirl the surface....
Pour water into a wok and bring it to a boil over high heat. Place those cupcakes to steam and set the fire to medium heat. This will help the cake to steam and rise slowly...
Steam the cake for about 10-15minutes. But mine was only about 12mins. I did open the lid and use skewer to check whether the cake is cook. If not steam a lil bit longer.
Once packet can actually makes about 12 cupcakes. They look gorgeous right?
 
I have tested a few times steaming this Pettina sponge cake and here is my Verdicts:
1. The cake is very soft, fluffy and it smells good too.
2. It is good for those who are vegetarian because there is no egg!
3. Some found it is uncooked at the bottom because it is too moist. But it is actually cook - cos I've check with my skewers.
4. If you want to steam with the cupcake liners, make sure to get good quality one or else, the liners will opened up when the cake rises.
5. In order to have other flavour, you can always add in the cocoa powder and separate the batter if you want to. It is up to your creativity and ideas to make it for fun.
6. For Pandan flavour, you can have 300ml of Pandan juice instead of plain water.
I experienced another level of steaming the cake a few weeks ago. Try to make Zebra pattern cake. kKnonnya... trying to recreate something amazing...LoL. Get a tiny 5" cake tin, line with papers and pour the batter of each flavour alternately.
Verdict: The taste is nice. But the design is totally out.
What you think?

Comments

  1. wow....so convenience with the pre-mix and with that little cocoa powder added, the cakes look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know chinese, but I supposed it's "kai tan gou" (steamed egg cakes)? I like these simple cakes.. Mum used to buy them from market and I always dunk them in Milo for breakfast.. Else, eat on it's own also nice already.. There are 2 types of "kai tan gou" she usually buys: the one what looks like kuih bahulu, and the plain ones that looks like "fatt koh".. Guess yours one is the one that looks like :fatt koh"..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen many online recipes that uses: flour, sugar and eggs only.. Then beat until fluffy, and bake.. Gives the same texture of "kai tan gou".. Some even uses 7-Up in it, to make it rise higher..

      Delete
    2. I love these simple cupcakes.. I would love to have it plain, without adding the chocolate, coz I wana taste the original "kai tan gou" taste., Would love to have a few biji with my daily Milo for breakfast..

      Delete
    3. Wait, no sugar needed? Just water and the pre-mixed flour? Ok wor..

      Delete
  3. Can use oven ar?

    Thanks for the tips, must get it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure Hayley. You ask May at Te Jia and see what advice she gives you later.

      Steam is actually better than bake leh....

      Delete
  4. So nice, come to grab one for my breakfast tomorrow, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angeline, thanks for sharing this sponge mix. Lovely bake there you have. I will get a packet on my next trip there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This's so cute, simply put then have different patterns!!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I would love to try this flour too, I must go search for it in my local bakery shop...so "huat" leh...simple and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha, at first when i saw that packet of powder, i thought that was some medicine from the doctor because the handwriting looks like "doctor's handwriting", and then the term Pettina sounds like some medicine to me, haha!! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and this is something interesting, all readily mixed and just need to add water into the flour mixture to bake those "faat gou" (sorry ah, they looks like faat gou to me).. so is this mixture a secret recipe?? if not, then would be nice if they label the different ingredients and their amounts, so that we can also personalize to our taste mah.. for example the amount of sugar, because some may like it sweeter than can add sugar, some may like it less sweet then can add in more flour etc..

      Delete
    2. but seems like very convenient to do that, simple steps.. just mix and beat and then steam!! and RM5.10 makes 12 cupcakes, errr, quite a lot hor?? so in average less than 50 sen for a cake leh, that's cheap!! nowadays one cupcake like that can be sold like RM5 each lor, fuyoh, 10 times the cost!! what a nice profit margin.. Angeline also open shop to sell cakes lah, then you will become rich woman soon~~ :)

      Delete
    3. the color looks very nice leh, and the texture fluffy and moist enough, must taste very nice lor.. i think this one is very simple, and you can actually let Calvin and Hebe help you with it in the kitchen hor?? more fun and gets them excited (and eat more!!), also for bonding mah :)

      Delete
    4. SK, ya they should write out the amount of every ingredients... I also never think of that. The taste and sweetness is still favourable. When it mix with chocolate, it taste not so sweet.

      My mum verdict - They are old version sifu, said this pre mix batter not very good. She said ownself make with fresh ingredients taste much better. Of course right?...Well sometimes really save a lot of time...once a while ok lar...

      Delete
  9. I think they are beautiful cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Normally I could not get the swirling right. Your are very skillful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another feather to the cap of our Taiping's Sous De Chef! You have a baker and chef's fingers to make lovely cakes, buns and everything! Why your hubby never asked you to resign and open a bakery shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because he can't afford to buy me a bakery shop.... muahaha.....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the generous tulips. I really appreciate it.

Popular Posts