Kantan no Omochi
Omochi and daifuku is very popular in Japan. Daifuku literally means great luck from Wikipedia. Every year I never miss buying a pack of Omochi with mung bean filling from Kam Lun Tai during Mid Autumn festive season. This year, I made my own. Please mark down for the simple recipe.
Adapted from Nami from Just One Cook Book:
- 200g red bean
- 200g sugar (I used 150g only)
- A pinch of salt
- Water (Enough to cover over the red beans to cook)
- 1-2 screwpine leaf (additional)
Method:
- Soak the red bean over night (I soak for 2-3 hours only).
- First, boil the red beans and cover the pot lid for 5-10mins.
- Pour away the boiling water and remain the red beans in a sieve.
- Cover the pot with tap water again and start boiling the red bean again with medium heat.
- Cooking time approximately 1 and half hour or more.
- Further steps, please refer to Nami's blog over HERE.
How do I turn the cooked red bean into paste? I used a food grinder to make it into a smooth paste. The ready red bean paste I prepared one day ahead and keep inside an air tight container in the fridge. Then, I divided it into a few small balls. It is easy to wrap with my Omochi (Glutinous rice balls) later. The leftover red bean paste I keep again in the fridge and it can last for a few days.
Here is my 9 minutes Microwave Easy Omochi recipe:
Ingredients:
- 2cups of glutinous rice flour
- 2cups of tap water
- 2cup of fine/icing sugar
- Some Pandan emulco or any flavour and colour you preferred
- Sufficient of Potato Starch or Cornstarch (I used potato starch because it is glutton free)
Method:
- Add in glutinous rice flour and sugar in a microwave safe bowl.
- Pour in the water and stir with a spoon to make sure there's no lumps and sugar is dissolved.
- Add some Pandan emulco and stir again to make the colour even.
- Wrap the bowl with cling wrapper. Poke 2-3 holes to release air
- Just place inside the microwave for 9 minutes ONLY. Yes, it is only 9mins!!!
- I got the idea from YouTube HERE.
- Once the Omochi is ready, just take the cling wrapper away and you will see Omochi texture just like the photo below.
The cooked Omochi is moist not dry, bouncy and slightly sticky texture...While it is hot, try to scrap from the side and pour out onto a wide tray which is powdered with potato starch like photo shown below.

The Omochi dough do not required to knead again. Covered the dough with potato starch. One hand used a scrapper and another hand uses the scissors to cut the dough into equally pieces. Then used my thumbs and fingers press and turn to make a round and flat dough in order to wrap the red bean filling.
Here you goes, soft and QQ Omochi with red bean paste filling. Then,I use a circular motion to make the Omochi round, just like making glutinous rice ball. Gently sifted some potato starch over the Omochi. When, all the Omochi is wrapped I rub off some of the excessive starch away and it can be kept inside the fridge.
Omochi can be decorate with pumkin seeds, black and white sesame seeds and here I sprinkle some CHIA SEEDS.
After I made, I brought some over to my mum place for her to pray on the Mid Autumn Festival night. She said nice and asked me where I get the recipe from. She also noted that it taste good. Ho Chiak!
DO TRY OUT THE SUPER EASY WAY OF MAKING OMOCHI!







have not tried using microwave to cook flour batter, interestingly it can be done for this recipe..must try this recipe one day.
ReplyDeleteAgnes, I guaranteed you it works for everyone.
DeleteNice. It tastes nice and looks so good to me. Well done to you, another successful attempt.
ReplyDeleteTHANKS THIS RECIPE IS QUICK AND EASY
Deleteyou are making me so hungry now. they look yummy!
ReplyDeleteYes Barb, it is yummy and it is always fav.
DeleteWow....impressive. You are really good in cooking.....apa apa pun boleh masak. haha
ReplyDeletemNhL, Please don't mention like that, Actually banyak lagi saya tak tahu masak.
DeleteLove you mochi! Your cooking / baking skill improves tremendously~~
ReplyDeleteAnd I enjoy being your guinea pig ^.^
thanks for being my guinea pig...wish to make more glutton free food for you and Yannie k.
DeleteWah, so nice!! You make is sound so simple. I prefer to just order from you instead of making my own....hehehehe...boleh order tak?
ReplyDeleteWhere you want me to hantar? use Fedex or Pos laju? hehehe.
DeleteMmm I love this..
ReplyDeleteSweet and easy to chew, hehe ;)
hmm and you really taste the QQ texture.
DeleteI was tempted by the title of easy mochi! It sure looks easy(ier) for us to make. Me loooove mochi. :)
ReplyDeleteya, very kantan right..
DeleteHowdy Angeline! You're getting PRO in your baking after your 2nd birth. Kudos dear! I bet your kids going to have loads of baked goods to enjoy soon. Btw, love your mochi. Looks much better than the one I made.
ReplyDeleteHope you're going to have a fabulous week ahead.
Kristy
Really, it is super quick and easy step of making omochi. Kristy I always salute to your own effort of making own ingredients/baking and cooking...Kudos to you too.
DeleteI should browse over your mochi recipe. thanks for sharing anyway.
DeleteWow! Your omochi looks fantastic! My daughter used to love this when she was younger, I would buy for her at every mooncake festival time. She would love this!
ReplyDeleteIt is my tummy fav too.
DeleteLooks great further more we can reduce the sweetness level too.
ReplyDeleteYa we can control the sugar intake.
Deletewow.. yummy yummy desserts! :D
ReplyDeleteYes, love to have it all...
DeleteThumb up to you Angeline. I like your omochi!
ReplyDeleteThanks Vic
DeleteAhhhh!!!! Mochi... I think I will just go to the shop and buy. Hehehehehe!!!! One popular one here - everybody from elsewhere coming here will surely buy and take home.
ReplyDeleteArthur, I just wnat to try out this simple recipe. If to make more or when I'm busy, I rather buy from outside.
Deleteoh, everything also homemade, must be very good!
ReplyDeleteYa homemade one always the most yummy.
DeleteVery nice! How I wish I'm half as good (and hardworking) as you in making all these delicious desserts. Really envy your family hehe :)
ReplyDeleteToo bad, hubby doesn't like sweet things. But he still give me face lor.. eat one. hehehe.
Deletewow really that easy? :D i have always thought it's difficult to make that.. i gonna try someday!
ReplyDeleteLatest: Best of Ramen
ya very easy.
Deletehi angeline, your omochi looks great!!red bean is a nice filling for omochi! now after seeing your pic, i really want to get some omochi!
ReplyDeleteAngeline,
ReplyDeleteThis is really nice. I like those with pandan flavor.
Yum! mui..^^
So easy?? But what about us who doesn't have a microwave. How do we cook the paste then?
ReplyDeleteYeap, I found and see how to make it from Youtube. If dun have microwave, then I have no idea. sorry eh.
Delete