My Hearty Meal: Almost like okonomiyaki

My fun time in the kitchen continues..... 
 I got this idea from scratch. I try to clear most of the fridge leftovers. Let's see what I found from the fridge.
Remaining iceberg lettuce from the croissants earlier, frozen mixed vegetables, spring onions, big onions, potatoes and eggs. With eggs we can fried an omelet. Will it be too simple? So I intend to make something different and that is why potatoes were in the picture. To make my very own okonomiyaki, I boiled the potatoes and the mixed vegetables earlier. Then I mashed the potatoes and set aside. Next, roughly shredded the lettuce. Finally, the rest of the ingredients are finely chop too.
Get a bowl, mixed all the ingredients together. Add salt, pepper and soy sauce to taste. I even add some corn starch in it. Then, I grab some seaweeds too(*_^) just hantam, just to make it feel like Japanese style. Combine all the ingredients well. There is no need to add water in it. Later, the lettuce will eventually turn watery.
Heat up the frying pan with some oil. Gently pour the egg and vegetables mixture, just like frying an omelet. When I check the bottom is slightly browning, slowly flip it over to let it cook on the other side. I managed to make my okonomiyaki almost 1cm thick like those selling in our local Japanese restaurants. Isn't it simple? It is up to your preference whether you want it to have a bigger okonomiyaki or smaller size one.
In minutes, my hot okonomiyaki is ready to be served. The taste was wise and smells good with onions, lettuce and potatoes.

~ Can always substitute iceberg lettuce with cabbage.

~ Okonomiyaki taste much better with bonito flakes.

Well, this is another healthy way to encourage the kids to love vege. I saw the original recipe from Google later on. It says that it needs flour and made the thing like a batter and fried like a pancake. I shall try out the original recipe next time.

Hey, I'm not going to eat just like that, I still have a main dish to show you guys here. Stay tune....

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Still got main dish ah.. I wonder what is it

      Delete
    2. I bet its someyhing real good. I better makan first before I see your next post else I hungry

      Delete
  2. What a good idea to use up all the leftovers in your fridge and I guess it is very delicious too, not to mention healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good idea. Clear all the fridge old stuff and leave some space to stock up fresh and new items.

      Delete
  3. Japanese? That's on awesome omelette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good! Never tot of incorporating boiled potatoes in my omellete b4.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, looks like your baking/cooking mojo has been very intense lately huh?? hahaha.. good, i can see you cook simple but healthy and wholesome things in the kitchen, thumbs up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually don't remember trying any okonomiyaki before, or maybe just a couple of times only.. the way you make it is more fusion than those i saw before, more of an omelete okonomiyaki..

      Delete
    2. but i think the real fun inside a kitchen is to "hantam" lah, cooking is an art and not science, so it doesn't need to be exact and follow the same way others are doing.. just like what you did to follow your heart and do what tinkle your mind.. :)

      Delete
    3. fuyoh, you still have other things to go with your okonomiyaki?? hehehe, i think this one is quite filling right?? somemore it looks delicious, sure your other dish also kind of lose the focus?? but have to wait till your next post to see the other dishes.. :p

      Delete
    4. oh yeah, i think cabbage would be better than lettuce since it will be more crunchy.. and bonito flakes, hmmm, i would love to have that!! lots of them, hahaha, and then squiggle some mayo and bbq (or teriyakki) sauce on top, yummy yummy!! your target next round?? :p

      Delete
    5. Correct! Cooking is an art not science! I hate science.

      Hantam also must make it properly do not make people tummy upset, you know!

      So want to know what I cooked next? Give you a hint: Something you ate before during your Japan trip.

      Yeah why I never think of teriyakki sauce.. Next time, I should get it and even bonito flakes.

      Cabbage is much cheaper than lettuce too.

      Delete
  6. wow, it's simply scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy! I think I will certainly like this too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cook this every now and then cos Chloe loves it. I've tried both flour and potato one and the potato one tastes nicer. It will be even tastier if you add some okonomiyaki sauce and mayo (as topping) and of course bonito flakes and seaweed flakes s :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreed too, potatoes have that startchy texture, really make it an awesome snack.

      Delete
    2. Oh got this kind of sauce? I must get it next time.

      Delete
  9. Looks good! I bought okonomiyaki sauce and yet to try to cook my okonomiyaki hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Show me please... I want to know how you make it. Maybe I follow your recipe.

      Delete
  10. What a clever chef you are! You can do magic by creating something out of nothing but left overs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. By just looking at your ingredients and see the results is enough to convince me that it was a fantastic dish! Well done! I would love to dip with Tomato Ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Koreans also have a similar dish like Okonomiyaki too. In fact what ever the Japanese cooks, the Korean has similar or identical dishes. They claimed that Japanese stole their ideas to make sushi rolls and even the public bath houses which all originated from Korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter Japanese, Korean or Vietnamese - all most like Chinese.

      Delete
  13. A very healthy okonomiyaki! Yumz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy healthy meal, love it!!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Interesting meal. Stunning way to attract our kid to eat vege.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids love crunchy stuff.... so they will love crunchy vege too like lettuce and cabbage.

      Delete
  16. So many veggies with eggs, healthy. Looks like omelette.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the generous tulips. I really appreciate it.

Popular Posts