Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips
I bake(again) along with Zoe, Lena, Joyce and of course everyone is welcome to bake along too. This week is Free and Easy Bake Along event #21 ~ Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips. I get this simple recipe from the FoodBuzz.
Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips
(Recipe from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman)
The name is so refreshing, yummy and I knew it this cake must be very sweet. That is sugar and white chocolate chips in it. I try to balance the sweetness here and I had some changes in the recipe.
Ingredients
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
1/2cup sour cream (Is about 100-110gm, I mix plain yoghurt with sour cream)
1/2tsp grated lemon zest
2tsp vanilla extract
11/2cups all purpose flour (I used Rose Plain Flour)
11/2tsp baking powder
3/4tsp baking soda
6tbsp unsalted butter and a pinch of salt (Is about 90-100gm. I used normal butter so no salt needed)
1cup of sugar (That is too sweet, I used about 150gm only)
8 oz fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced (approximately 16-20 strawberries, depends on sizes. I found nice red one which less sourish)
1cup of white chocolate chips (I used about 70gm only. White chocolate chip is always that sweet)
Method
- Heat the oven to 350F. Grease a 8inch square baking pan and dust it with some flour, knocking out the excess.
- Combine 11/4cups of flour (There remaining 1/4cup of flour left for the strawberries), baking powder, baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Combine the egg, egg yolk, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla in a bowl and beat lightly.
- Combine the sliced strawberries with the remaining flour in a bowl and mix well. This is too control the excess juices from the fresh fruits. The flour will covered the strawberries and add in the white chocolate chips as well.
- Combine butter (at room temperature) and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream it with an electrical mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Scrap down the sides if necessary.
- Slowly pour in the egg mixture, half at a time and mix well.
- Turn the mixer to a low speed and add in the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Then mix the cake batter for another 30 seconds on medium speed.
- Last but not least, pour in the strawberries and chocolate chips mixture inside the batter and fold well using a spatula.
- Scrape the batter in the baking pan and bake the cake for 45-50 minutes.
- When it is ready, let it cool for 5minutes. Then invert it onto a wire and immediately turn it right side up on rack to cool completely. *Important*
I sliced the cake into bars. Look at those pale fresh pinkie strawberry with melted white chocolate chips inside. Hubby tasted, said ok and not that sour. Strawberries originally aren't that sweet, slightly sourish after all. So I'm lucky to found the red ones for this recipe or else need to add more sugar or either add more white chocolate chips.
Note: Taste your strawberries first before deciding to cut down the sugar from the recipe.
I decorated the cakes with some glazed fresh strawberries for the finishing touch. I made some sugar syrup to glaze the extra berries. Before glazing, I sliced the berries into half and then slightly make two inches again. 1 recipe really not enough, I have to cut into half again so everyone has a bite. In just a glimpse...all gone!
Isn't it looks sweet and delightful? High Tea anyone? My mum thought I bought from somewhere else.*wink*
Hahaha decorating really do the tricks right?
This recipe is simple because just dump in all the ingredients and that's it! Bake it and you gonna love this delicious cake. From my point view, this cake suits any events. I'm sending this Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips to the Bake Along #21 Event hosted by this wonderful ladies: Zoe, Lena and Joyce.


Hi Angeline, your cake looks moist and delicious even though you forgot to turn it right side up! Yes, this is a moist and tender cake, really good! And you present it wonderfully with the strawberries on top! Your mom is right, it does look like store-bought! I do not have any extra strawberries, my kids ate the balance immediately after that! Really great to have you baking along with us! Wish you a lovely week!
ReplyDeleteJoyce thanks for your compliments. Is my pleasure to bake along with you ladies...If the recipe is easy I'll follow
DeleteYummmmm!!!! But not easy to get strawberries here. Yunno, small town...no market for the fruit, so nobody bothers to import.
ReplyDeleteSTP, dun worry I think this recipe can use banana as well. Must be good too.
DeleteYour cake looks very impressive and they really look like the store-bought ones. My family especially my son love eating this cake too :D
ReplyDeleteZoe, this time my son said not nice becos it was sourish to him. hahaha
Deletei'm glad that you are able to get this recipe from the internet:) i think all of us have also reduced the sugar amt in the cake considering the added white choc must had added sweetness to it. Very nicely decorated and look very pretty!
ReplyDeleteLena, thanks to your previous post advice. Cos when I googled, I saw your blog name appeared.
DeleteYou took the trouble to decorate it with extra strawberries huh! I ate my extras lol! Love this cake!
ReplyDeleteMy hubby ate a few of my strawberries too. Then I told him to stop. I need it for decorating...hehehe
Deletehello,i only ate one small slice only ok.
DeleteAngeline, this is a very beautiful cake. Thanks for the treat. I love it, it tasted fresh, delight and yummy.
ReplyDeleteYeah definitely will bake it again
DeleteThe cake looks yummy! You have improved alot!
ReplyDeleteNot really Hayley, the recipe is simple
DeleteYummy cake, with the chocolate & strawberry filling, delicious.
ReplyDeleteThanks, compare others one, my one was so pale.
DeleteI like this! I am a strawberry lover! *wink*
ReplyDeleteReally? I'm not fancy to strawberry that much, but this recipe makes me wanna bake again
DeleteLooks so yummy. Good enuf to seel! :)
ReplyDeleteMerryn is simple to bake. Try it out and I'm sure Ethan loves it
Deletehi Angeline, your cake looks so pretty especially with the fresh cut strawberries on top, very mouthwatering :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Alice.
DeleteAngeline, your strawberry cake is very yummy! I'm so glad you join this bake-along, because I got to try bits of it, hihihihi! *glutton*
ReplyDeleteSo sorry Yvonne if I "glutton" you so much.
Deletewow, so delicious and yummy looking. now i feel like having some strawberry cakes :)
ReplyDeleteBarb, it is pretty easy. You can try with your HCP pan...
DeleteWow, fresh strawberry cake....I want a piece.....errr, maybe make that 2....
ReplyDeleteNo prob, coming right up!
Deleteooooooh love the simple presentation. looks so inviting.
ReplyDeletetotally going to follow you from now on :)
I likey! It's my favourite fruit and I just love everything strawberry :) The glazed strawberry toppings made the cakes look so attractive!
ReplyDeleteReally? i like strawberry too
DeleteMmmm.. Looks so deli! Now I'm wishing I stay in taiping to I can go bake along with you... Hahaha!
ReplyDeleteHahaha. Irene I try to find recipe which is eggless so Vic can taste it.
DeleteDecorating with fresh strawberries and placing them in pretty cupcake paper are fantastic ideas, the cakes really look like they're bought from the bakery, no wonder your mom couldn't tell! Looks really delicious!
ReplyDeleteJasline thank you and thanks for visiting my blog.
DeleteGurl!
ReplyDeleteYou did good with the decoration, good job!
Thank you
DeleteI can see your passion in baking is growing day by day. Keep up the good work. This cake is simply delectable!
ReplyDeleteThanks yee ling...If you are my neighbour, I'll for sure will share some with you
DeleteIt is fun baking with friends. Your cake is lovely and moist. They do look like store bought even better:D
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm not very good in baking, but it is fun to share lots of idea and experience together.
DeleteWow! Angeline! Boleh buka kedai kek already!!! Love it:)
ReplyDeleteHahaha
ReplyDeleteI've been drooling over your photos of this dish
ReplyDeleteLoveforfood: Thank you for the compliments
ReplyDelete