Something Sweets #1 - Cook Like Donna Hay
I browsed a few simple recipes from Donna Hay's website. I found most of her recipes are pretty easy. I chose one of her something sweets menu ~ Cinnamon French Toast. Quite a common snack for breakfast, brunch or maybe as a late night supper.
All of us know how to make french toast, so what it is so special about this recipe? Most of the time we used our local loaf of bread from Gardenia or High5, but in DH's recipe, she used the real French Baguette. This bread is crust and hard outside but inside is very soft. I grab one thin loaf of baguette from Tesco which is only RM1.30 to prepare french toast as a late night snack with my son. Usually my parents love to have it just like that with a cup of coffee.
Let see what are the ingredients we need to make this french toast...
- 3 eggs, ¼ cup (60ml) milk, ⅓ cup (75g) caster(superfine) sugar, ¼ cup (60ml) pouring (single) cream, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon* powder, 1 teaspoon orange (Original~lemon)rind finely grated, 20g butter, 10 - 12 slices baguette, maple syrup to serve(optional)
- * Cinnamon always goes well with bread.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cream, cinnamon powder and orange rind. Mix well. Then heat a medium non-stick frying pan over high heat, add the butter and heat until melted and just starting to bubble.
I was afraid that Calvin may don't like the smell of cinnamon, but somehow Calvin loves it. At this stage of growing, my son often request to have some snack before bed time. So I take this opportunity to prepare some easy snack from DH's site.

The next morning, Calvin asked for the french toast still got or not? :D
I cook this Donna Hay recipe ~ Cinnamon French Toast and would like to post this linked to the blog hop event, Cook like a Star (March 2012), organised by Bake for Happy Kids.
Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture and cook, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Serve with the maple syrup. Serves 4.
Tips: When cooking, frequently flip the bread so it will not burnt easily. The french toast is slightly brownish because I used cinnamon. I found out that using French baguette is more healthy. Why? I realized those normal Gardenia bread soaks more excess oil than baguette.






Hi アンゼエリン! お元気ですか? I just read that you study Japanese. How wonderful! Thanks for stopping by my site. :-)
ReplyDeleteYour French toasts look delicious! My kids love them, especially with cinnamon. You son is so cute!
they are very nicely toasted! i would like to have a couple of these for my breakfast now!!
ReplyDeleteLena, at first I've burnt 3pcs...Then slow down the fire and toast again :D
DeleteIt tastes like heaven. I wish to eat it a bowl of mushroom soup. You are getting better and better. Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteYan, I still kept some baguette inside the fridge. I want to make croutons for mushroom soup next round.
DeleteAgree with Yan, best eaten with a bowl of mushroom soup, or corn soup.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice weekend ya!
Cinnamon has many health benefits and it's good that Calvin likes it. Chloe and I don't quite like the taste of cinnamon and I'd rather make butter and garlic toast with this baguette hehe ;)
ReplyDeletehmmm, i cant post up my comment ler, hv to use this reply mode only can..
Deletewah, tak boleh tahan , all the kid pun pannai baking than me jor..really paiseh..hahaha
i also dont like the cinnamon taste..
Really? I also don;t know how to solve your sending comments prob. Yeah, agreed not many people like cinnamon taste. But cinnamon roll bread is definitely tasty to me.
DeleteI have seen this recipe and almost made this! Your son must be really happy having such a delicious supper! Yum!
ReplyDeleteZoe was asking us cook anything from DH recipe, so went to search and I rather prepare some snack dishes for my son!
DeleteThanks for sharing those simple yet delicious recipe, can't wait to try it out!
ReplyDeletesure sure...but using baguette easily get burnt.
DeleteYumm....always love cinnamon with bread...
ReplyDeleteI like cinnamon taste...especially cinnamon roll bread.
DeleteI like French toast. Will try it with the baguettes for sure next time :)
ReplyDeleteAi @ Sakura Haruka
Yeah try it...
DeleteNot bad..looks yummy.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mery
DeleteLooks yummy!
ReplyDeleteThanks
Deleteboy you are good. the baguette looks yummy.
ReplyDeleteHahaha, recently I indulged in cooking n baking pula!
DeleteAngeline! Will remember French baguette if I make these anytime soon! Yummy!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting Emily
DeleteHi Angeline,
ReplyDeleteI remember using soft white bread making my French toast when I was little. Using French baguette with a hint of cinnamon sounds simple and yet a superb gourmet style of French toast. Nothing beat a happy Calvin when he is happily eating these lovely treats.
Using soft bread for french toast was our childhood snack...simple and nice.
DeleteI don't mind having it everyday. Simply delicious!
ReplyDeleteYeah me too
DeleteThanks for sharing. The recipe look very easy.
ReplyDeleteVic, yes like our simple French toast recipe...just add some cinnamon for the twist.
DeleteLooks simple but nice. ..I like to put cinnamon in my bread too, makes the house smells so fragrant
ReplyDeleteSorry just saw ur comment. thanks for visiting my site.
Delete