Puff Pastry #2: French Palmier
Good day everyone. I always adore of making palmier myself one day and this time I'm glad to bake it. Palmier is a French word, or it is also called elephant ears in other country pastries. I'm so happy to browse this simple recipe from Barefoot Contessa (Frozen Treats episode) courtesy of Ina Garten. At first I tried her apple turnovers, still remember? and again this is my second attempt baking her recipe.
Ina's ingredients for making palmier are granulated sugar,1/8 teaspoon salt and puff pastry. You can always have either a sweet palmier or savoury's one.
Somehow to join in the #24 Bake Along event, I made some modification from the recipe and only 4 ingredients are needed to bake my own version of nutritious palmier.
1. 2 Frozen puff pastry, thawed
2. 2tbsp of Chia seeds
3. 3tbsp Castor sugar
4.1 Egg yolk
Step 1: Clean a flat surface on the table or on any board. Spread some flour over the flat surface, so the pastry will not stick on it and at the rolling pin.
Step 2: Then, sprinkle generous of sugar on the flat surface. After that, place a frozen piece of pastry on top it. Flatten and slightly spread the frozen pastry dough using the rolling pin. This will make the bottom pastry is pressed with sugar.
Step 3: Spread some sugar and Chia seeds evenly on top of the puff pastry. This is not about sprinkling,but it's about an even covering of sugar and Chis seeds. This pastry cookies must be crunchy and sweet.
Step 4: Fold both sides of the square towards the center so they go halfway to the middle (I slightly pressed the pastry by using the rolling pin). Before folding the second time, I apply some egg wash and sprinkle some sugar and chia seeds again. Eggs wash is to fold the layer nicely and also enhanced the colour after bake.
Step 5: Fold them again so the two folds meet exactly at the middle of the dough. Used the rolling pin to press again. Lastly, fold 1 half over the other half as though closing a book and slightly press with rolling pin.
Step 6: Slice and arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment. I used 2 squares of frozen puff pastry and get about 24-28pcs of palmiers.
Advice: Seen the photo shown above, remember to open the cut inside as a "V' shape. If you don't open, it won't bake nicely like a heart shape. I even slightly press the bottom, to make the heart palmier looks even better "".
Step 7: Place every pieces slightly apart, as later on it will puffed once bake. Simply brush just a lil egg wash on top for glazing. Finally bake the cookies for 5-6 minutes until caramelized and golden brown on the bottom, then quickly turn the other side using spatula (I just use fork and spoon) and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, until caramelized/ and golden brown on the other side. Transfer to a baking rack to cool.
* Preheat and set the oven to 400 F which is about 200 degree celcius.
Advice: The pastry biscuits must be cool before keep inside a tight container to maintain the crispiness.
* Preheat and set the oven to 400 F which is about 200 degree celcius.
Advice: The pastry biscuits must be cool before keep inside a tight container to maintain the crispiness.
And here you are my sweet hearty palmier - It has a balance sweetness with the salty pastry, buttery fragrant, of course crispy and healthy too with Chia seeds.
Only need 4 simple ingredients with some technical steps to fold. But once you mastered the folding steps, you can make it pretty fast. This recipe is just so simple and tasty. I'm sure this is the best pastry cookies for tea time! Quick, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the crunch.
I'm sharing this recipe with
Cook like Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) - May 2012
&
#24 Bake Along blog hop event with the theme: Bake with 4 ingredients.





Wow....your baking are getting more complex. Interesting.
ReplyDeleteI wish to bake more complex too.. Hahaha but this is easy. U can try....
DeletePerfect for tea break.
ReplyDeleteNext time, I'll send some over to ur door step.
DeleteI love this palmier so much. The sugar,egg and chia seeds work out so good in the puff pastry. Very tasty indeed.
ReplyDeleteThanks Yan, ur kids will love it too.
DeleteLove shape puff pastry, very nice and lovely. Must be very delicious.
ReplyDeleteYes Vick...is really yummy
DeleteWow, your palmiers are a knockout! Looks very good! Wish I could have some with my cuppa tea! Thank you for baking along with us again!
ReplyDeleteThanks to you ladies out there, brushing up my baking skills.
DeleteHi! Thanks for the information. At least the chia seeds taste better and easier to eat than pouring into juice. :p
ReplyDeleteRose, I sometime use it when baking bread. Sprinkle over white rice and porridge too.
DeleteGreat job Angeline. These are perfect.
ReplyDeleteYour macarons feels much better....
DeleteVery, very pretty heart-shaped cookies and delicious too! It may looks simple with 4 ingredients, but the 'kung-fu' needed is high level one~
ReplyDeleteI would love to try it out because I foresee my kids love this biscuits.
Yvonne u can either replace chia seeds with peanuts, almonds, nutella or poppy seeds.
DeleteYou are very clever using chia seeds to bake these palmiers. Saw the chia seeds in the health shop but didn't know how to cook or bake with them and I think your chia seed baking idea is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteI treat chia seeds like poppy seeds....
Deleteme too like zoe, came across chia seeds but never tried them before. I know it's must be kind of healthy stuff that i see them selling in organic shops. Your palmiers are very beautiful and cute too!
ReplyDeleteLena, Chia seeds are very nutritious...it taste like poppy seed...good if making sushi
Deletei never try chia seeds before, now seeing your palmiers, i want to get the seeds :)
ReplyDeleteit's so lovely, hope i can shape as pretty as yours :)
Chia seeds are very nutritious. good for health and bowels movement.
DeleteWow! This is a fabulous recipe! Love the idea of adding Chai seeds in these lovely palmiers! Great job & looks fab! :)
ReplyDeletethanks Kit
DeleteSo lovely!! Really envy your baking skills. The crunchiness of baked Chia seeds is nice, isn't it? I only know how to bake boring buns with it...
ReplyDeleteyou can used it in juice, hot drinks, salad dressing, sushi, soup and porridge.
DeleteI don't know what is this chia seeds but your palmiers really look yummy and pretty.
ReplyDeleteThanks, you try to find chia seeds from Cosway. It is a Cosway product.
DeleteSo lovely. Nice for evening tea :)
ReplyDeleteYeap.
DeleteWow, talk about simplicity and delicious pastry, I like this very much!
ReplyDeleteThanks...wait till you taste it..very nice
DeleteThey look great! Much nicer than those that I've seen in the bakeries. Come, make your own puff pastry and blog about it. Then I can learn... I can only manage shortcrust pastry and I don;t like those frozen ones - not so nice.
ReplyDeleteHahaha you challenge me? about the homemade puff pastry...I shall and I would if i have lots of time!
Deleteenjoy this over a cup of English tea, must be very good!
ReplyDeleteYes indeed. Nice to eat...need some technique to fold the pastry
DeleteWireless Home theatre Systems - Tomorrow Of Would you
ReplyDeleteAlso visit my webpage: Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350