Cake Decorating: Chocolate Genoise & Buttercream
A little note: I plan to bake Sonia's RECIPE, but I decided to make a larger cake - 9", I'm afraid to modify the recipe. Furthermore, I'm not confident in beating the eggs white till stiff peak. Ended I found a simple 9" sponge cake base recipe from A Touch of Classic Baking book by Kevin Chai. Sonia, I shall and certainly will try your basic sponge cake next time. *_^
Chocolate Genoise (Sponge), pg108
Ingredients
- 7 eggs
- 150 castor sugar
- 120g plain flour (I used self raising flour)
- 30g cocoa powder
- 20g cornstarch
- 80g butter (melted)
Method
- Whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy in high speed. Gradually, fold in sifted flour, cocoa powder and cornstarch. Add in melted butter and mix well.
- I melted the butter by using double boiling method. So, the butter won't easily get burnt. In this way of doing, the butter is nicely melted.
- Pour batter into a line 9" cake tin. Bake in preheated oven at 180'C for 25-30mins.
This is how my Chocolate Genoise looks like. The side and cake top part are slightly hard, because I bake a bit longer 10-15mins when I insert the cake tester, the middle part still not done yet. So far, the cake taste ok and it is rich in chocolate flavour.
Although this Genoise doesn't look that tall and fluffy. But the cake still look moist and soft inside. I still able to divide it into 3 layers. I slice the cake without any cake leveller. Before I sliced the cake, I get ready with the butter cream.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simple Butter cream recipe, pg105
(Adapted from the same book as above by Chef Kevin Chai)
Ingredients- 250g butter (at room temperature)
- 120g castor sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla essence
- 75ml hot water (Do not have to be boiling)
Method
- Beat butter until creamy.
- I leave the butter at room temperature and cut into cubes. So the butter is soft and able to beat it well.
- Add sugar and vanilla essence, continue to beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in hot water, beating until sugar is melted.
- Scrap the side of the mixer if necessary.
- Whisk until pale and creamy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I didn't leave the cake plan. I decided to spread blueberry jam as the cake filling for every layered. To remain the cake moist enough till the next day. I prepared a simple sugar syrup (2tbsp of sugar dissolved in 50ml hot water) to brush over the 3 slices of cake before thinned with butter cream and blueberry filling.
Once I settle and spread the overall surface of the cake, I let the cake set inside the fridge just for a while. Do you noticed something sat inside the fridge as well beside my cake? Anyone can tell me? Yeah, it's jelly mooncakes. My MIL making jelly mooncakes for us. I told my FIL there's two line production in the house. One is jelly mooncakes and another one making birthday cake. He smiled and shook his head...*Pengsan* I guess. LoL.
I think it is much easier to do the decorating part when the cake is set inside the fridge for 1-2 hours. So the surface with butter cream is slightly smooth and harden, really no mess at all.
As I said earlier, no matter how the cake turns up, I'll still marked down and jot down in my blog, in order to get valuable advices and opinions from many superb mummy bakers out there. Frankly, I still need more practice, there are many skills I need to brush up. Ganbatte!
Will be continue to post step by step in the making of Spiderman cake. Stay tune!!!
Happy Mooncake Festival to Everyone!








wow..you are good at baking! Love those cakes!
ReplyDeletethanks Wenn
DeleteI did that before... Hmmmm...very nice! Spidey! LOL!!! Hmmm...no, thank you. Not a fan of jelly mooncakes...and not snow skin either.
ReplyDeletevery nice!! I prefer egg seperation recipe for sponge cake than the whole egg coz I like egg separation method better...
ReplyDeleteCan share your tips with me....
DeleteYou are really good at baking! Simply amazing!
ReplyDeleteKitty no lar...BLUSH!
DeleteThat bowl of butter cream makes me licking my lip. Haha. U really have the passion n patience to bake such a ccomplex yet beautiful cake just for your son. A great mummy indeed.
ReplyDeleteReally wish to bake more if can.
DeleteSuch a complex way to make the cake, and I mean the piping of the Spiderman itself! Your patience is good~
ReplyDeleteVery nice, but it is too complex and too time consuming for Yannie to try. You are good and patient. Well done.
ReplyDeleteYvonne and Yannie thank you for your compliments.
ReplyDeleteHappy Mooncake Festival Angeline!
ReplyDeleteYou're so pro in baking already =)
Thanks Thanks
Deletewell done, angeline! i never tried making cartoon cakes like this!
ReplyDeleteYa Lena is very difficult to draw out...But it is fun
DeleteHi Angeline,
ReplyDeleteThat was a handsome cake.
Your Calvin must be very proud of his mummy.
Well done !
mui..^^
Thanks for your kindness help
DeleteYou've given my inspiration for my next cake! :-)
ReplyDeleteCan give tips on how you sliced the cake so nicely? I've only dared to divide my cake into two, and even then, a bit "cacat" one. Yours look so smooth and even.
Adrine, so sorry for the late reply. If you want you can invest a cake leveller to slice it. For me, I used a long knife which is sufficient for me to measure and slowly cut. I go slowly and once a while make sure to see the other side of the cake while I was cutting it. Most of the time, I cut the first layer from the top (my first layer always not smooth too), then divide the cake into half.
Deleteknife must be sharp and long enough to slice it. I cut a few inches from the side, control the height and the knife, go slow, turn the cake turntable just a little bit. So when you turn a bit, move your knife inner and it slice a bit, slowly and slowly and the first layer is slice off.
Delete2nd trick - place your cake in a sufficient flat plate. The stainless steel round plate, use to steam fish is the best choice (REFER MY PANDAN LAYERED CAKE PHOTO WHERE I PLACED THE SLICES CAKE ON THE PLATE). I used it to become the cake leveller, I just place the knife on the plate and smoothly cut from the side of the cake it really work. This is how I slice my pandan layer cake into 4 layers...
Tq, tq for the tips! I'll try it out next weekend. *fingers crossed*
DeleteOh use spread blueberry jam as cake filling, wat a good idea when we out of ingredient for the filling.
ReplyDelete