Banana Nut Bread ~ Free & Easy Bake-Along Event #40

This is my very first post for year 2013. It has been a long time I didn’t update my blog, my apology. I shall blog more after this, hopefully *cross finger*. Well Lena , Joyce and Zoe, I’m back. I’m here to take part again in this Bake-Along event #40. For this challenge, we have to bake banana nut bread. It is actually a quick bread I would say.
I’m sure everyone loves banana. Banana contains lots of potassium, calcium, iron, vitamin C, B2, B6 and so on. This is the main ingredient in this recipe. My son mashed the bananas for me. He likes to help whenever I'm in the kitchen. Since he is able to read simple sentences, he even helps me to read the ingredient loud and clear. So I just asked him what ingredient I should get one and another.
Banana Nut Bread (The Williams Sonoma Baking Book)
makes one 9 by 5 inch loaf (I made 2 regular loafs)
95gm unsalted butter (Softened)
170gm sugar
280gm mashed bananas (It is ok if it gets browning)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
125ml buttermilk (I use milk)
2cups plain flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground nutmeg (I use cinnamon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (My addition)
100gms walnuts (Chop coarsely)
Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until creamy, about 1 min.
3. Add the bananas and eggs and beat until smooth. Add the buttermilk and beat until just combined.
4. In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and nuts. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and beat just until combined. The batter should be slightly lumpy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. It should be no more than two thirds full. Bake until the top is dark golden brown and dry to the touch, about 55-60minutes.
6. A cake tester inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
Storage tip: Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrapper and can be store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Walnuts are rich source of energy, minerals and omega-3. Definitely a good combination with bananas. I even toasted the nuts for a while. Then, use my both hands to crunch into small pieces. Let the nuts cool down before add into the batter.
Throughout the process, I found out that this quick banana bread recipe has a quite dense and lumpy batter. I'm afraid it would not bake and rise nicely. So I tell myself as long as I follow the recipe closely, it should be fine. From my experience, I try not to over mix the batter. So, I gradually use a spatula to stir with figure "8" mixing the flour and the walnuts.

Mine baked for about 60 minutes. Rise up gracefully and giving me a wide smile on my face (*_^).

Next, I have to cut through to check how is inside and lastly the taste. Like QA or QC inspector. LoL...
Here I'm submitting my bake ~ Banana Nut Bread to the host of Free & Easy Bake-Along #40: Zoe, Lena and Joyce. Their next theme is making turnovers...I'm still figuring out what to make. Before that, please do blog hop over to the rest of the bakers with the linky below to see their version of banana nut bread. Enjoy!




Hi Angeline,
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! So nice to see your post and first one is Bake-Along some more! hahaha!
You have baked the loaf very nicely! Wow, so nice of your little helper to read out the recipe! Sometimes I cannot read the recipes quite clearly when I bake, loh-fah already!! haha
Thank you for baking along with us, looking forward to your turnover post!
Enjoy your weekend! :)
I'm busy with my work here...so really don't have the mood to blog. I'm wondering what should I make for the next turnover challenge.
DeleteWelcome back to blogging Anzerin!! Miss your yummy looking cakes leh~
ReplyDeleteThanks Hayley.
DeleteBread? I think I prefer cake...
ReplyDeleteArthur, don't worry this recipe is like cake too. There's no yeast inside. Hehehe
DeleteEllo ello angeline... so how, QC passed??? Nana bread looks yum yum!!!
ReplyDeleteYup, QC passed! What about yours...
DeleteGlad to see you back in the blogging world :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Adrine, hope my mojo is back...
Deletegood morning angeline, nice to see you back in blogging with this banana bread. so now from accounts to QC? hehe..so nice to hv your son reading the recipe for you. Did he say he wants to bake one himself? always nice to hv you joining us, hope all is well at work, cheers!
ReplyDeleteLoL. Nah, I don't think he wants to bake one himself. He will always ask me to bake for him. He is a boy I don't think he should be in the kitchen all the time.
DeleteSometimes, it is good to get a helper. He even grab the butter from the fridge, sugar from the cupboard and bla bla bla. He knows where I place it.
Welcome back Angeline. Your banana bread looks yummy.
ReplyDeleteYa. Thanks
DeleteWelcome back.........the bread looks so yummy....
ReplyDeleteThanks mNhL, I miss your blog too.
DeleteYummy!! It looks more like banana cake to me. Banana is our favourite fruit and we can't live without it hehe. Over here in China, we can find only 1 type and it's expensive. We miss the banana varieties in Malaysia.
ReplyDeleteBanana is everyone favs.
DeleteThis banana walnut bread looks wonderful to me. It tasted really good too. Keep up baking, babe.
ReplyDeleteThanks Yannie.
DeleteHi Angeline
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by to my banana walnut bread post...yours looking delicious too and in fact both our banana bread looks almost the same.....hehehe.....
Nice to meet you Mel.
DeleteHi Angeline,
ReplyDeleteYour banana bread looks great...bet your family is enjoying every slice. :D Hope to see more of you in the future Bake-Along. :D
Hi Chris, the bread was shared among my colleagues as well. Nice to meet you too.
DeleteI love your banana cake, moist and nutty. Haha! Thanks, again. I'm looking forward to your blogging-come-back and baking mojo.
ReplyDeleteThanks Yvonne, ya I hope I can come-back to the blogging world again. I'll try to bake more too.
DeleteHi Angeline,
ReplyDeleteWelcome back to baking and blogging! Your banana cake looks like they have passed their QC very well :D
Zoe
Hi Zoe, yeap QC check passed! *_^
DeleteHi Angeline! its been a long time, nice to see you again. Your banana bread looks really lovely.
ReplyDeleteHi Mich, I miss you too.
Delete