#007 - SPICY RICE CAKE (떡볶이)

I blog about Dashi stock in my previous post, remember? This Dashi stock is very versatile, it can be use in any kinds of Japanese and Korean cooking. Perhaps, Korean will more likely to use anchovies and kelps as their stock base. In a nutshell, any kind of stock can be use according to your preference. The reason I prepared Dashi stock in advance is because I want to cook Topokki - Korean Spicy Rice Cake (떡볶이).
First time - Fail: I have no idea how it will turn out to be. I used Kimchi to cook the broth and the flavor turn out to be sourish.
Second time - Okie: When Aeon came to Taiping, I can slowly explore the groceries there to find out what kind of gravy is best for my rice cake. This second time, was quite Okie in terms of color and texture. Still I put in Kimchi again - spoilt the taste a little bit.
Third and fourth and so on, I'm was about there get it just right, after searching from Youtube, they use Dashi stock as the base.
Topokki is very easy to cook. Previously, I boiled the rice cakes and add in the sauce straightaway. Not so good with the starch water. A little bit of hard work to make the Dashi stock in advance. After boiled the rice cake, strained and put the rice cakes into the Dashi stock in a new pot.
No more Kimchi this time, I shredded some carrots, onions, cabbage and mushrooms. If you like seafood, you can add in cuttlefish, calamari, fish ball and anything to your liking. Then add in two packets of Sweet and Sour Sauce. Bring it all to simmer and covered with lid.

Open the lid, and stir for a few times until you get the thickening sauce as your preferred. You can try to test the taste by now whether you still need to add more flavor to it. I add two tablespoons of classic Korean chilies paste - not cheap though. What should I do with the rest of the chilies paste? Hubby said never mind, he will use it to fry Kimchi fried rice some other time.

I love to eat while it is hot. QQ texture of the rice cake and the vegetables are crunchy. Next attempt, I will try to cook the sauce myself.

Hahaha, after mastering Japanese ryouri and now moving on to Korea pula. Next time I will try to make Bibimbap (비빔밥), stay tune ya.

HAVE A BLESS WEEKEND!

Comments

  1. Looks so delicious, Angeline. Always, you are a good chef. How blessed is your family to have you around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, please hop over to take part in Double The Ong at Kidzania giveaway at my blog. Please support.

      Delete
  2. I like to eat topokki. Yours look absolutely tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had tasted Korean rice cake before but not really used to the taste as I find it too chewy for my liking

    ReplyDelete
  4. a big plate of goodness ...super yummy from the looks of it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that one on top in the fridge, dunno what - my missus uses to make her kim chi. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this topokki very much! Had it once at the Korean restaurant. It was so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now into Korean food already ya? Hehe!

    Your spicy rice cake looks presentable! But I still prefer kimchi, hehehe :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the generous tulips. I really appreciate it.

Popular Posts