Extraordinary ABC SOUP/罗宋汤

Tomatoes are good for everyone, especially ladies. It helps to improve skin complexion and able to protect against UV rays. Foremost, tomatoes content the most powerful natural antioxidants which helps to prevent cancer.
I love to eat tomatoes in raw or cooked in any dishes. I always stock up in my fridge whenever I saw fresh and juicy tomatoes from Giant or Tesco. There are many varieties of tomatoes. Some are big with lumpy texture and some are yellow colour and it is crunchy. More about tomatoes information please refer here.


I know ABC soup is an ordinary soup, which everyone can cook. Maybe everyone has their different ways of cooking it.

Here is my recipe:
Ingredients:
1 large potatoes ( I used Russet potatoes)
3-4 medium size of fresh tomatoes ( I prefer to have more tomatoes in the soup)
1 medium size of yellow/sweet onions (It can be substitute with our red big onions)
1 small carrots ( I prefer Australia's carrot)
200gm of chicken breast (It can be substitute with pork rib/carcass, chicken drumsticks also can)
8-10 seeds of white pepper ( Slightly give the soup a heat)
Pepper, salt and even soy sauce to taste
For my soup, I have a very special ingredient...1 tablespoon of tomato sauce.
Usually Hong Kong style of 罗宋汤(which most of the time, I saw from HK drama usually have a slightly orangey and red colour soup base).
Method of boiling the soup is up to your preference. Here, let me share with you how I boil the soup.
  1. First, clean the vegetables and cut all in medium chunk sizes.
  2. Then, slice the chicken breast meat and marinade with some corn flour with a dash of pepper.
  3. Bring water to boil in a medium pot. I usually blanched the meat for a second with some hot water.
  4. Then pour in the chicken meat together with onions, tomatoes and carrots in the hot water.
  5. Gradually add in the pepper seeds. Bring it boil until you can smell the aroma.
  6. Turn down to a small fire, add in the tomatoes and continue to boil for another 45mins.
  7. Larger pots that means need more time to boil. Up to your preference.
  8. Lastly, when it almost done, add in that tablespoon of tomato sauce. Stir well and simmer another 5-10mins. 1 tablespoon is enough, we don't want to cover the original taste.
  9. After adding the tomato sauce I suggest to taste the soup first before adding salt/soy sauce again.Serve while it is hot.
I often cook this soup with rice as porridge for my girl. Just cook the porridge without pepper seeds and tomato sauce. She loves it very much. My son will demand for a bowl too. For kids I don't add in salt, but I substitute with a little bit of soy sauce.

I'm submitting this to little thumbs Up with the the theme "Tomato", hosted by Doreen from Mui Mui @My Little Favourite DIY & Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.
 For next coming April theme will be "Corn" host by Esther Lau from Copycake Kitchen.

Comments

  1. Hi Angeline,
    We love ABC soup! Adding the tomato sauce is something new to me. Will give it a try the next I boil this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tomato sauce is just to add colouring to it. It also have a very nice aroma for the soup too.

      Delete
  2. Yummy. I love tomatoes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomato is nice... I like to eat the small cherry tomatoes too.

      Delete
  3. I love this soup! Simply healthy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap is a healthy soup. Not fattening at all. Enjoy your holiday.

      Delete
  4. Sweet Angel,
    We love ABC soup. Yours looks yum yum!!
    I learn something new from you ...adding tomato sauce into the soup sound yum yum yum!!

    Thanks for linking this to LTU!!
    mui
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aah-ha Angeline!

    So this is your secret to make your delicious ABC soup! The good old tomato sauce... how can we live without this great invention? - LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one spoon makes so much difference. Please do not add too much... or else ruin the whole soup original flavour...

      Delete
  6. Tomatoes...it is my favourite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Besides boiling ABC soup with it. I like to use fresh tomatoes for pasta gravy

      Delete
  7. My method is quite similar to yours too. Tho I only learned to put peppercorn very recently from my MIL. And of course the tomato sauce part is new to me. Will try it out next time.
    Eh, but why put cornflour on the chic? Won't it all go to the soup anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just marinade the chicken only...not much

      Delete
    2. The chicken taste much tender...hehe

      Delete
    3. The peppercorn you mentioned, mine was given from my ex-confinement lady. While she was working at Kuching, she bought some for us. Kuching peppercorn really smells good.

      Delete
  8. Hi Angeline, one of the best comfort soup. Learn something new from you, use tomato sauce. Usually I boil the tomato first until very soft then only add the other ingredients and put lots of pepper.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, I put tomatoes last because I want to bite the tomatoes or else, all the tomatoes dissolved in the soup. hehehe....

      wish you have a nice day too

      Delete
  9. i din know we can add in tomato sauce into soup ! how unique. But will it taste more like tomato soup rather than potato carrot soup ? I love ABC because of the 'sweet' taste from the onion and the sour taste from the tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh tomato sauce would give this soup a kick. I never knew this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the generous tulips. I really appreciate it.

Popular Posts