I called it Durian Crepes
I always wanted to try making Durian Crepes long time ago. But I don't have the guts to fry the pancakes nicely. Since I have extra whipped cream left from Dr Ng's birthday cake on last Friday. Plus I have some "ulas" of Durian in the fridge too. So why not? make some Durian Crepes on the following day. Let's see the simple recipe.
Durian Pancakes
(Name printed on pg84; Yum Yum Magazine, #74 issue, 2011)
Ingredients:
100g plain flour (I used S.F Flour which I have in the kitchen)
250ml water,
4 eggs (B)
30g icing sugar
20g custard powder
Filling:
250g non dairy whipping cream (whipped)
300g fresh Durian paste
*For the first time, I've made half of the recipe only (*_^)
Method:- Combine all ingredients and mixed well, stir until smooth, strain and set aside. (I used a hand whisk and I let it rest inside the fridge.)
- Prepare a 5 inches non stick frying pan (or any non stick frying pan you have). Heat up the pan with a little oil, pour in enough batter, fry with very low heat until firm, dish out and set aside. (I used butter for better smooth crepes. Please view HERE on how I grease the frying non stick pan.)
- Let the crepes set aside to cool before the wrapping process.
- Get ready to wrap the filling. The whipped cream can always prepare ahead and keep in air tight container in the fridge.
- Spread the pancakes with rough surface facing up, apply some fresh cream and followed by a table spoon of Durian paste.
- Wrap it like a square pillow.
- Keep into the fridge for 1-2 hours, serve cold.
It was my very first success in frying the crepes. I'm just so happy about it. The yellow colour is so vibrant, smooth and attractive. Aiks! There was one I wrapped the other side...that is why it's lighter colour than the rest.
My Tips: - The pancakes must not be too thick. It eventually tends to have little stretch mark/crack line on the surface when wrapping.
- Another way is fry on 5 inches or small pan for great result too. So we won't taste too much of pancakes rather than the filling.
- Do not over fry the pancakes too. It get's dry and harden, not suitable to wrap later on.
- Fry on a very low heat and you'll know the thin pancakes is cook when it is easily scrap off along the edges and easily lifted up. Use a wooden or silicon spatula to do it.
- I do not over turn the pancakes to cook for the other side. The batter was just flour and egg, it cooks easily no worry at all. So in this way, it prevent the pancakes from over cook, dry and we'll have a very smooth surface result.
- Use butter instead of oil. I tried with oil, the pancakes tends to have more holes and not smooth at all for both side.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I made another round yesterday. But without Durians, I substitute with cubes Mangoes. I found out the mango started to turn dark although it keeps inside the fridge, which I can see from the pancakes. Hmm... my verdict - Durians are much tastier and nicer look! Well, practice always make perfect right? Since I have mastered the basic pancakes, I'm looking forward to make Mille Crepes. Though I've not tasted before, but it is a challenge for myself!!!
Here I'm sharing this with Cook-Your-Books #2 this July 2013, hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours

Added: Lena advised me to link this post to Aspiring Bakers #33 (July 2013) - Tropical Spiky Month hosted by Charmaine of MiMi Bakery House as well.







Oooo...I love these!!! Yum! Yum! Didn't get to eat any on my recent rip to KL...and now you've got me drooling all over. Yours look really good....exactly like those commercial ones. Bet they taste a lot better, homemade usually are.
ReplyDeleteHomemade is the best with more health conscious!
DeleteIt suits our liking that is not that sweet
DeleteVery nicely done, Angeline! I have tried only once in KL last time..
ReplyDeleteClaire this is my first time having it and first time making it.
DeleteSo nicely made...
ReplyDeleteThanks Sharon
DeleteDurian, i loves, hehe...
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm drooling over the durian wrap photo you posted at FB.
Deletewow, that's yummy! I haven't tried that before. Maybe I should try it one day. Thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Wenn
DeleteHow can you call that a success and be happy about it? You need to share with us and feed me a few pieces before we all celebrate your victory!!! I love durians!
ReplyDeleteYou are very adventurous in the kitchen and there is nothing you will not try. You should open a bakery shop soon and be your own boss! I am sure you will become famous.
DeleteAnytime TM. As long as you're in Taiping I can try to make something for you all to try. But since when you're here, Taiping have so many yummy food. I bet you have no time to try mine as well. correct?
Deleteby just looking at the photos, what i can say is that, your crepes look so perfect!! golden yellow and smooth as silk.. very professional!!
ReplyDeleteyeah, i gotta be convinced that you said this is a very successful attempt.. because comparing yours with those on the cookbook, i didn't see much difference!! fuyoh, very 勁 ah you!! :)
Deleteso durian ones are better than the mango ones?? aiyah, too bad but i don't like durian at all, haha!! hmmm, so what's next attempt?? maybe can try banana?? bababa babanana~~ eih, i think this is not a bad idea huh?? :)
Deletethe tips you shared are really useful, though i doubt i will be doing that at all hahaha.. i guess the bloggers who love baking would really appreciate your generous sharing here on making good crepes..
Deleteooooh, mille crepes!! wow, that sounds interesting.. looking forward to seeing another successful bake from you :)
DeleteSee in detail... some very cacat also. But some is very silky smooth. Next time I make it a consistency... That would be perfect!
DeleteHaiz...you kenot stop thinking of minions eh? Muahaha...
DeleteSK no worries, with sweet corn custard filling is good too. Wait lar ya.
DeleteHi Angeline,
ReplyDeleteYour durian crepes looks so good! I cannot even remember when I last had any durian crepes. Thanks for the tips on making the crepes!
Thank you for linking to CYB! I have the weakness for cookbooks and could not stop buying even though I told myself not to buy anymore for the time being. I'm glad that CYB has inspired most of us to start using our cookbooks and magazines more often! Looking forward to more of your yummy bakes and cooking from your cookbooks!
Hope you have a great week!
Joyce no problem, will post and link back to your site. You too have a nice week.
DeleteYummy.
ReplyDeleteSend some over. ;)
Lina, sure no problem! Thanks for your chocolate too. Hubby ate one and I ate one too.
DeleteLook so yummy delicious. Beautiful ! And very neatly folded.
ReplyDeleteThanks mNhL!
Deleteoh you are making me so hungry! those crepes look wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThanks Barb
DeleteSeriously? I want to try this too.
ReplyDeleteHahaha...serious? Come I belanja you makan
DeleteThese durian crepes look so wonderful, how I wish I am still working in the same office with you. So, I can enjoy your bake every time you attempted new recipe. Your durian crepes look perfect and awesome. You are definitely one amazing chef whom I know.
ReplyDeleteYan no worries, you Yvonne and Hayley not very far from me. When I have nice durians, I will make some more for your guys. But kenot pass to you during office time... later the durian smell spreaded in the pantry later in the office...
DeleteYou call me a chef? no lar.. I'm just at a learning stage still. There are many great baker and cook out there. Thanks a lot for the compliments. I miss you Yan.
OMG... looks like those sold in bakeries. These looks fabulous, Angeline! I would love to try making my own, but not with durian fillings, though...cuz not a fan. LOL!
ReplyDeleteMango, sweet corn filling also can. Just modify the filling that suits your liking!
DeleteMangoes would be yummy not durians haha.
ReplyDeleteBananaz dun like durian too... hahaha. I'm not a durian fan as well.
Deleteyou did so well and thanks for your tips! i hv not made these kind of pillow crepes before..btw, i think you can link your post to the Aspiring bakers this month, their theme is durian. Mimi bakery house is the host.
ReplyDeleteOh thanks Lena, I shall link it to them.
DeleteI like eating these durian crepes. Wow u can make these..so talented.
ReplyDeleteKamsiah Mummy Gwen, it was my first attempt.
DeleteAngeline, bila u want to make it for sale. We bought 6 pieces for RM10. LOL
ReplyDeleteActly how much they sell at kl?
DeleteVm la Ling, I treat you
DeleteAngeline depending on how many pieces in the box lor. The one we got is 6 pieces.
DeleteOK...i bring durian...u make the crepe. Cantik mou?
DeleteCan no problem. I make crepe you bring the durian.
DeleteSo if is 6pcs how much? Must be small in size onely. Just want to know outside sell how much. See worth or not between make our own or buy from outsiders.
DeleteHaiyo blurr lar me... u already said is RM10 for 6.
DeleteLooks yummy, though I don't eat durian at all, hehe~
ReplyDeleteJust melt in your mouth
DeleteI love this too...Yums! The crepes are so smooth and perfect! You are really a pro...any first attempts you do also always turn out good. Bravo!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Chloe... Will improve more day by day!
DeleteYour durian crepes is very pro, looks exactly like those sold in expensive dim sum restaurant. Your family must be very happy to be eating this.
ReplyDeletereally? thank you so much for your compliments...
DeleteYour Durian crepes look tempting leh. I wanna try lah, later hb will bring home durian from his friend dusun keke. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
ReplyDeleteYa you should try the recipe. Vicky.
DeleteShow me your result after you try it.
Deletewah makes me drool la
ReplyDeleteI will make it much better next time. with more generous filling ok?
Delete