Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

Deep Chocolate Pound Cake
courtesy from Bon Appetit Desserts Cookbook, page 44 or refer Bon Appetit.com

Who don't love chocolate please raise up your leg please. Hahaha... I'm sure no one would do that. Anyway, I'm just joking. Not because legs are heavier to lift up but I'm sure 9 out of 10 will never say no to chocolate.

I often heard about pound cake from TV channels - Astro 703, 707 & 727. Especially the The Cake Boss series. Buddy always use pound cake for his wedding cake design. Pound cake traditionally believes to have the sufficient weight to hold the cake height compare other types of cake which is soft and fluffy. Usually, pound cake will be the base of any decoration cake.
This time, Free and Easy Bake-Along event #42 challenge is to bake Deep Chocolate Pound cake. The name is heavenly delicious. This is my first time baking a pound cake, this is not the ordinary one but is deep chocolate pound cake. For me it is very tricky to bake one. Initially, pound cake itself is heavy and can be dense too. Adding chocolate in it, will make the cake even more dense and compact.
So, this round I follow the recipe carefully and hope my chocolate pound cake turn out nicely. Let's see.....
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream (I add UHT heavy cream + lemon juice)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons boiling water
3/4 cup sugar (I used brown sugar)
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preparation:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F - 180 Degrees. Butter and flour 9x5x3 inch loaf pan, tapping out any excess flour.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.  Whisk sour cream and milk in a small bowl.
  3. Sift cocoa powder into another small bowl. Whisk honey and 2 tablespoons boiling water until smooth. Cool completely.
  4. Using a electric mixer to beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in 1 egg at a time, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl.
  5. Beat in vanilla, add cocoa powder and stir until smooth.
  6. Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream mixture in 2 additions each until just blended.
  7. Stir in chocolate chips.
  8. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 8 minutes. (Mine I baked for 1 hour only because I separate my batter into 2 small square tray)
Took it out from the oven and rest for a while before cutting it. My mum "pinjam" ~ borrowed my loaf pan, so I get another 2 small ordinary tray to bake it. Although the cake tray is slightly wider, but the cake height is still bearable. The texture is moist and have a very deep chocolate smell. I ate 2 slices straight away. The cake is not as dense as I thought. The taste is wise and not that sweet too. Maybe because I used brown sugar. 
One chocolate recipe is actually not enough, I munch another 2 slices again. My cake didn't crack and rise that high, maybe not enough baking soda. I decided to bake this cake for my friend's daughter. She's still searching for job after she graduated. Hopefully, she gets a job after having this deep chocolate pound cake. Hehehe... Well, it is good to cheer her up right?
*Heard from my friend yesterday, that her daughter found a job in Singapore. All the best to you Ven!*
That day, I really run out of idea how to present the cake. Then, dusting icing sugar came into my mind first because the cake is not that sweet. So I decided to cut the cake into bite size pieces. The petite size. Sounds classic right? I found the petite size is a great idea if to bake this cake for any party event. It's handy, look neat and presentable too.
Here you are my classic petite size Deep Chocolate Pound Cake! I packed nicely in a box and tied with ribbon before giving it to my friend's daughter. We stay at the same "Taman" ~ in the same neighbourhood. I just drove to her house in few minutes time. Her daughter always called me Bee Kwan Jie Jie, and I told her I'm already a auntie. *_^

I'm submitting my classic petite size Deep Chocolate Pound Cake to this three pretty hostess of Free and Easy Bake-Along, they are:
Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, 
Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and
Lena from Frozen Wings.
After this I shall blog hop over to see other bakers version. It is great being part of this event. For me, succeeded in baking is not the main objective here. But sharing, exchanging ideas and learning through experiences (even your attempt is fail) are those values we want to learn. Am I right?

Happy Baking everyone...

Comments

  1. wow, looks so yummy! I can surely wallop it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wenn, even myself kenot tahan with chocolate cake. Your poost about cakes also right? hehehe

      Delete
  2. Aiyoh. Super drooling at those....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lina, I'll treat you after your Malaysian Women Marathon. Good Luck.

      Delete
  3. Hi Angeline,
    Your cake looks great! I'm glad that you have baked your first chocolate pound cake. You did well! Presenting them in small pieces is a super idea, and looks fabulous with the sprinkling of icing sugar!
    Thank you for baking along with us, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pound cake looks awesome. I totally forgot about the bake-along because of my busy schedule and only came to realise it after seeing some bloggers posted it up.

    Thumbs up to you for your first pound cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I know you're busy. But I recommended you to join and bake along with Joyce, Zoe and Lena for the next coming theme: Tres Leches Cake. Interesting.

      I may not join for the next challenge... I'll get busy after this.

      Delete
  5. All I wanna say: BIG YUMMS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo...serious! That looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yumz!
    Happy baking Anzerin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sobs! I love these sort of cake. Now I'm drooling over this awesome cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..another great baker and cook!! Thanks for coming by.. added you in my list already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire thanks. I'm just love to bake, not a pro yet! hehe...

      Delete
  10. Love the way you present this pound cake. I just finished mine. Going to post this few days. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes...petite size cakes are good... popping them into the mouth 1 pc aft another without realising how many we had eaten...:))
    Nicely baked choc pound cake. I also loved yr choc chips being scattered nicely in yr cake too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choc chips, I didn;t do anything to them, just throw in it only.. Maybe it is just coincidence..

      Delete
  12. hahahaha, i won't say i love chocolate woh.. depends lah, those cheapo chocolate without chocolate taste but all sugar, i will never touch at all.. i very "luncy" one, i only like rich chocolate really chocolatey types of chocolates, hahaha~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, i love real chocolate. My pound cake I'm using Van Houten brand leh.. not cheapo one.

      Delete
  13. so pound cake is called pound cake because it's heavy?? hmmm, but to me, i can never differentiate what cake i am eating lah.. as long as it's cake, then i just eat.. because i just love any types of cake, especially those moist type!! kering kering one like those pasar malam RM1 for 3 cake slice, sorry lor, hahaha!! again, i am quite "luncy" in choosing cake one lah~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha, somehow your photo of the cake looks like brownies lah.. especially when you cut them into little cubes.. hmmm, like that worse leh, because the more little you cut it, the more you will be eating it!! wah, "fat die" already, haha~~ somemore they are so delicious woh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I don't mind. I hope they don't complain that I'm stingy serving small piece only!

      Delete
  15. oh, i saw your new banner already!! wow, so nice and so professional lah, you are becoming expert already huh now?? i also want to do one for my blog, just like yours to advertise my blog name~~ hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you told me that you wanna keep low profile? wanna advertise sum more...

      Delete
  16. hi angeline, yes, i find that my cake is not that sweet and actually i can go even sweeter than that. So you put in the full amount of honey stated in the recipe? i find that that's a little strong for me..hehe..anyway, nice to hear that your friend got the job..maybe the cake has given her some luck...:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, my honey was ok ....or maybe I used brown sugar? I'm not sure, so far the cake turned out moist and soft.

      Delete
    2. That is why I sprinkle those icing sugar on top.

      Delete
  17. Hi Angeline, great idea to cut into smaller pieces, share share with friends before we can eat them all ! Looks good too! Hmmm...I should have used dark chocolate chips too! Looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind bored cut the cake in slice, change some style. hehehe

      Delete
  18. What a rich chocolate cake! I would love to eat it as I like eating any chocolate food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really that you must love fudge.

      Delete
    2. I find fudge too sweet for my liking.

      Delete
  19. Sweet Angel,
    I kinda love your petite idea.
    Looks lovely and can easily packed and share with friends = )
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Angeline,

    Wow! Your statement for the bake-along blog hop event has lots of "mo shui"... hee hee Totally agree with you that it is also the friendship that I'm after participating this event and glad that I have known so many great friends like you with all these bake-alongs.

    So nice of you to give your petite chocolate cakes to your friend's daughter. She must be touched :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, maybe my sentence make you confuse

      Delete
  21. *teary eyes* wahhhh may ultimate fave...
    Angie I would like to know if you know any baking recipe using rice cooker instead of oven ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks good, you are always good in any recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Angeline, your chocolate pound cake look very chocolatey. Nice texture, great to go with hot coffee. ;)

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. going to bake this cake either tomorrow or the day after, wish me luck :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the generous tulips. I really appreciate it.

Popular Posts